• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found CUCV prospect!

bkwudzhom

I found An '87 CUCV in the local swap paper and hes asking $3000. I called the guy and he said is says he bought it from the county 4-5-months ago and has been driving it regular with no problems. It has 16,000 on the odometer, a replacement hood from an '89 the left rear view mirror has beeen replaced, other than that it is origional. He claims that it has no leaks and is "tight". I hope to look at it this week end. Any suggestions as to particular problems I should be wary about. I have learned a lot from you guys just from reading here in the posts but am still a little wary in buying.
Thanks,
BK

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Luck. Be sure to take a camera with you and take a few pics. Post them even if you don't buy it. Someone here may be interested in buying it, if you don't.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if they are rare, but most of the CUCVs I have seen were made 1983 to 1986. They were made through 1987, but I just haven't seen any of them.

bkwudzhom

Will get Pics-dont have digital camera or scanner so might be late next week- the guy also said that it still had 2 batts but that it only had 1 alt. Does that mean it has been changed to a 12 volt system?
Bk

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There are a lot of posts out there about what to look for and look out for. The most recent one started by ecostruction was pretty well responded to.

Concur the 1987 CUCV's are very often seen. Sounds like it was changed over to 12 volt.

Look at it this way, as long as she starts and drives and stops, you can get it home and work on it. IMHO if you even went to the school of the mechanically
DE-CLINED you can still successfully work on the CUCV--hey I'm a prime example. You might have to hire out welding, maybe electical, maybe the bodywork for sanding and painting but general work is fairly easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks