• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found m35a1 what am I in for

R0E0D

I just came across an M35a1 multi fuel truck. I went and looked at it it has no brakes it sounds like the master cylinders not getting any air. The air compressor is charging the air system because the low air buzz goes off but it has no air gauge. the engine had on it read somewhere about Studebaker it has the old generator. how easy would it be to get parts for this truck? are some M35a2 parts compatible with the old m35a1 what am I getting myself into before I buy this truck?

I like to add I am not scared of work. but I am scared of not finding the right part or the part no longer exist.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You need to find someone in your area that knows duces to look it over with you. You need to down load the manuals and read at least the before and after check lists. The master cyl does not get air, the MC is hyd.2cents

eagle4g63

Anyway back to at least one of your questions..........The truck should have brakes even if there is NO air........they are still hydraulic, so there is a problem there..........Could be a simple bleed the brakes issue or look to the backside of each drum and see if it looks wet, that would indicate a bad wheel cylinder.

Not sure what all parts are interchangeable from the 2 generations.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what am I getting myself into before I buy this truck

AFter you buy the truck, be prepared to spend some coin. As you do not know the condition of the truck and with the age, it is a good idea to do a complete service on it.

And then after you get one, you will want another and another and another. It is a sickness and there is no cure.

It may be updated to an M35A2 already and the data plate hasn't been updated.

Last edited:

R0E0D

You need to find out how to use a period.
yes I know however at the time I was driving down the road. using a smartphone with voice to text feature. And likes to spell the punctuation rather then use the punctuation mark. I drive a truck with my foot in the tank! I do not always have time to stop and write a message
before I am do it my next appointment. by the way writing this message using the voice to text feature took me 15 minutes to double check and make sure it got it alright.

R0E0D

sorry all I did not take any pictures. I do understand they are rare and I want to have a multi fuel engine rather than a diesel only engine.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes I know however at the time I was driving down the road. using a smartphone with voice to text feature. And likes to spell the punctuation rather then use the punctuation mark. I drive a truck with my foot in the tank! I do not always have time to stop and write a message
before I am do it my next appointment. by the way writing this message using the voice to text feature took me 15 minutes to double check and make sure it got it alright.

So if you don't have time to capitolize and use sentences , what makes you think any body has time to read your post 6 times to try and understand it . Then take more time to answer your question .

commandojeff

sorry all I did not take any pictures. I do understand they are rare and I want to have a multi fuel engine rather than a diesel only engine.
A deuce is far from rare. They are everywhere.

Pictures are easier to evaluate the condition of the truck and give you a better answer.

Welcome to the addiction by the way!

eagle4g63

This thread is headed exactly to one of my BIGGEST pet peeves.............If you don't have time to post a message WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING!!!! ............STAY OFF THE DA#$ PHONE AND DRIVE THE VEHICLE..............BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Finding a deuce isn't worth someones life:evil:

I'm sorry..........you might be a nice guy, but I have no patience for people that text while they are suppose to drive a vehicle.........Never mind........I think you know where I stand.

R0E0D

look I don't want to argue about it I would like to stay on topic. no I did not pay very much attention in school.
for those of you that didn't take the time to thank you. and as soon as I can I will edit that first post please I do not want to hear anymore about it.

R0E0D

Red I had to use a bit of binary to spell my handle Romeo echo Delta was already taken.
as for the truck it is back in South Carolina I'm currently in Idaho.

SSG ALBANESE

Red I had to use a bit of binary to spell my handle Romeo echo Delta was already taken.
as for the truck it is back in South Carolina I'm currently in Idaho.

Ahhh I see lol I couldn't make heads or tails of it... RED it is.

I can see that is a bit far for pictures. Well if you can ask the seller to send some to you, I am sure if he wants to sell then some picture taking should be no problem.

I do not remember reading this in prior posts but how much is it for sale for?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your question: The M35A1's that still have the LDS427 were surplused in the late 1960's. That means for the most part they have not been military maintained or upgraded or overhauled in a long long time. The truck may have been somewhat maintained by whoever owned it, but nothing like Uncle. It is likely that every rubber part including all the torque rods are no good. So you are looking at a frame up restoration possibly, which is very time consuming. Most folks on this site bought a M35A2 running and driving, having been in gov't service until recently. This makes ownership a lot simpler.

commandojeff

Oops! Didn't see that you said A1. I was in a 5 ton mindset aua. They probably are more rare then. My mistake.

There is a price for everything. Just realize that what you are getting into could end up costing more than what the truck is worth fully restored.

Everyone needs to relax around here sheesh. He is a new member and there is no point to ridiculing people for mistakes. I agree the OP was hard to read. But I believe in constructive criticism. What is there to gain from putting another member of your same hobby down? That is all I will say off topic to this thread.

Jeff

R0E0D

Oh and to add canvas on cab and bed are gone with time. But all the bow's are there wood is rotted. but the metal is there for the cab and bed side gates are there and fold down personnel bench is there.

Last edited:

R0E0D

wile i sit on my but for the pic's to uploadaua i was looking to make my own nato slave cable. i have the plugs on order. now what wire do i need i was looking at #1 welding cable.
is that to big what AGW wire is best for the NATO plugs?