• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found M887A2.........Sort of

MatthewH

Before the M880 crowd gets after me, i know there aren't A2 versions of the M880 series, and while i love my M887, it has some downfalls

So i'm building an A2 version of an M887, using my '77 M887, and a newly aquired '92 Dodge W250 4x4

Here's a pic of what i'm starting with, more as i finish the various loose ends of this project

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm starting to like the sound of this already! That W250 looks like it has a Dana 60 in the front. Don't know much about the Dodges but is it a snow commander or do all the Cummins 4x4s have the 60?

m880 unimog

anything that involves getting an old dodge back into action is rightous-

good luck with the build and keep us well fed with some pictures.[thumbzup]

MatthewH

Recovery4x4, you are correct, it does have the D60 front axle, with a matching D70 rear, OD trans and a 205 t-case.

I'm currently marathoning the driverside floor pan, along with both outer rocker panels. Winter is never kind to these old dodges.

I am mounting the box on the the '92, but i'm hoping to change the front grill out to the '89-90 style,

Think Airforce M887A2/W250

MatthewH

Well, as luck would have it, my plan fell apart. I was hoping to end up with 2 trucks, the cummins powered M887, and an extra 318 powered beater. But after doing some more poking, i found the rain edge/upper windshield to be completely rusted out, along with some major cab reinforcements.

So it looks like the 887 will after all recieve the cummins drivetrain. I'm just waiting on some info for an engine sub harness that works with the 78 electrical and then the swapping will begin.

Elwenil

Kenny,

All Cummins powered 4WD Dodge trucks have either D61 or D61 front axle. The Cummins is a bit too much weight for a D44 to be reliable.

Matthew,

You would probably be time and trouble ahead to just swap the M887 body over to the W250's chassis if the frame is solid. That would save you the trouble of reinforcing the M887 frame for the Cummins as well as all the fuel, electrical and drivetrain mods. You will lose the crappy full time D44 and gain the D60 front as well as part time 4WD. To simplify the cab swap, you can even swap the W250's dash in and keep all the electronics stock and only have to splice some of the lighting wiring. You will probably have to be a little creative to keep the intercooler with the M880 grille but it can be done.

MatthewH

To simplify the cab swap, you can even swap the W250's dash in and keep all the electronics stock and only have to splice some of the lighting wiring. You will probably have to be a little creative to keep the intercooler with the M880 grille but it can be done.
I had planned on just swapping the sheet metal, after i had cleaned/painted the frame, and added a better turbo/exhaust. I had read somewhere else that the dash's were interchangeable, but i was skeptical. I do like the idea of changing the dash's, since an aftermarket harness to work the '92 engine elecs to the 78 elecs runs about $1100 dollars. What kind of changes to the lighting elecs would be needed? Is it just the plugs for the headlights/turn signals, or is it more involved?

I do have an idea for the grill/intercooler interferance problem, but one step at a time

Elwenil

About the only real change in the lighting involved in swapping a '70s body on a '80s and later frame that I can think of is the tail and front signal lamps. Later tail lamps use bulb sockets that 1/4 turn in the lamp housing while the '70s style are hard wired to the housing. The plugs changed over the years so you can't unplug one and plug in another so some splicing has to be done. Similarly the older front signal lamps are permanently wired rather than the later removable socket design. There are a few changes in the firewall such as the bulkhead hole shape but those are easily overcome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks