• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found one locally, what is the value?

ATC

A couple weeks ago I was driving south of town and saw a Deuce sitting in the parking lot of a "Commando Supply" store with a 'For Sale' sign in the window. It wasn't until earlier this evening that I got time to drive back down there and check it out a little bit. The store was closed, so all I could do was to look it over briefly. It looks like it's in decent running condition....there were no puddles of fluid under the truck, all the tires held air, and the interior/dash/gauges looked to be in great condition.

However, there were quite a few rust spots. The wheels, inside the bed, a couple of the "bed stake holes" toward the rear had some holes rusted through them, and a few other spots here and there (what do you expect from a 30+ year old truck? Right?). But I have a welder/grinder and plenty of time on my hands.

I admit, I should have taken some pictures and looked it over more thoroughly, but I never thought about asking/showing you guys until just a little while ago.

My question is, based on what I said above, what is the average value of the truck? The 'For Sale' sign had "TRADE" written on it, so I don't know what they are looking to get out of it.

I will do my best to get back down there tomorrow afternoon to get some pictures and talk with the store employees, and report back here.

Thanks! :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinda need more info. I'd say that a basic deuce, running that needs some body work should be worth $2000. I can sell a front and rear axle here for $1500. You can add to that a bit if it has any extra equipment or a winch.

ATC

Yes, I know...I should have gotten more info and looked it over a bit more, but I was in somewhat of a hurry. I couldnt lift the hood or go inside because of signs asking not to. It is pretty bare bones...No winch, no canopy, etc...

But thank you. I will bring my camera tomorrow and take some pictures for sure. I just want to get some research done as to the value of the truck before I 'jump in' like I tend to do. If it is $2k or less, I will jump on it! You dont know how bad I have wanted one!

ATC

Sorry to get a little off topic, but "steelsoldiers", I live just up the road from you in Roanoke. You probably know of the truck Im talking about on Rt. 220.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steelsoldiers actually lives in the City of Franklin over near Suffolk(about 4.5 hours). I've seen the truck you are talking about while heading to Salem for work. They have never been open either but the rust is the biggest thing I've seen without actually getting to crawl in/around it. It definitely looks better than their other vehicle :)

Opie

ATC, I live in Salem, and a number of members live in Roanoke, Lynchburg, or further afield in Meadows of Dan. I don't know much, but would be glad to look with you once I'm back in town Tuesday.

Opie

ATC

Thanks for the offer, but I dont think I'll be looking at this truck anymore. I stopped in today and asked about it, and they want $9,500 for it!!! :cookoo: For only $500 more, I could get a completely refurbished truck from Clark...

The lady did say that it purred like a kitten and drove like a cadillac, so that's a plus. If it were in the $3k range, I would be going to the bank on Monday...

But anyways, here are a few pictures of it. I guess I will have to keep an eye out on the boards for a good project...

bugei

is there a diner near by? if they want $9,500 for that truck, you want to eat what they eat or smoke what they smoke; cause it will make you very very calm.

jatonka

That truck with so little rust would bring $5000 in the New England states all day.There aren't going to be a lot more trucks coming from DRMO/GL in the future, ask GL, they're s%^#$ing a brick right now. Shredding for scrap is the near future for ALL demil B&Q items. No Bull

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the store, they carry a lot of collectables, WW2 stuff and radios..pretty pricy, but nice stuff. They always seem willing to bargain.
Good luck!

Banshee365

That's an absolutely insane price! No winch, troop seats, heater, etc... They'd have to chop it in half to get anywhere close to reasonable.

-Kelly

ATC

Re: RE: Found one locally, what is the value?

jatonka said:
That truck with so little rust would bring $5000 in the New England states all day.
It didnt have that much rust overall, but the places that it did were quite extensive. I could stick my finger through a few holes.

cranetruck said:
I know the store, they carry a lot of collectables, WW2 stuff and radios..pretty pricy, but nice stuff. They always seem willing to bargain.
Good luck!

Yes, you are right. They are VERY pricy there...but they do have neat stuff (WWII water filtration system for $3650...marked down from $9500...get real!) :roll:

Thanks to all of you for helping. I am very new when it comes to military vehicles. I like to go fourwheeling just about every weekend...so a deuce would be the perfect recovery vehicle. Camping is also very high on my list...throw an air matress in the back under a canvas cover, and I'll have it made! 8)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Found one locally, what is the value?

I don't know about the air matress but mil cots work perfectly in the back of a deuce. One of the best ways to camp for sure.

ATC

I'm not too fond of cots. I've had a bad experience with a couple before :lol: Im not exactly 'standard issue' size either (6'5", 240lbs)

houdel

When I was in the military, Deuces came in very handy for filling air mattresses! On the other hand, one time on bivouac sleeping on a cot in a GP medium (I was the Company clerk in the Battalion HHC at the time, so I got quite a few extra perks, no shelter halves for me) I woke up in the middle of the night during a severe thunderstorm. There was about 2" of water flowing through the tent. Were I sleeping on an air mattress at the time, I'd probably been at least 1/2 mile downstream from where I went to sleep!

To get back to the original thread, $9500 should buy you TWO good "motorpool" Deuces, or one good "show ready" Deuce! Please tell me what tobacco these folks smoke, I'd like a couple of pounds.

ATC

Polverone said:
ATC,
I like the last picture link in your post. I think they didn't take the "CLEARANCE" banner to heart. :lol:

And if they did, what was the price before the markdown?!?!?!! :shock: :shock:
I don't think I would want to know the original price they wanted :shock:

That truck is just about what I want. Something that runs great, but needs some body work. I have never touched a diesel engine, so I really don't want something that's going to give me a lot of headaches...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks