• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found pieces of metal in tansfercase, it's a shame because i was going to sell it

Hey guys! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Last night i was outside just finishing up the full service on my M35A2, and everything was going great, nothing but small amounts of metal dust on the magnets, perfectly normal, then i pulled the plug on the transfercase. I'm pretty sure it's the fabled input shaft bearing pieces. I've been doing quite a bit of research and it seems alot more common then i had orgionally thought. I guess these bearings fail on all of the deuces dont they? I have noticed zero issues with anything on the truck, no vibrations, i cant find any play in the short shaft, i put it in 5th gear in neutral and got under the truck and looked at the shaft spinning, it doesnt have any wobble or noise coming from it.

I still would like to sell this vehicle as i'd like to pay off some of my daughters medical bills this year. How many other people had had this problem?

I am looking to get $5,000 for it.

It has a dent in the hood, the roof, etc not much rust, but its in great mechanical condition, other than this find.

It has an LDS 1A with a whistler turbo, an air shift transfercase, good tread on all tires, i regulary drive it. I just replace the rear wheel seal, repacked bearing, cleaned brake (which look brand new) etc, completely flushed and bled brakes with DOT 5, drained all 3 axles, transfercase, and transmission and refilled with 80/90, i changed the oil and filter about 600 miles ago with 18qt rotella and 1 gallon of marvels oil as well as a new air filter, and air filter for the air pump, and a new emergency brake cable, and rebuilt the horn. i also just put in 3 new fuel filters and ran poly tubing into the engine compartment from each of the 3 axles as a vent so it wont ruin another seal (vent was under pressure after each drive)

I have had the vehicle since February and regularly started and driven it, and it's tagged and insured. Everything works perfectly on it.

What do you think it's worth? I have noticed zero issues with any of the driveline. I planned on starting it at $5,000 on ebay, obviously mentioning everything, and offering that if the transfer case were to fail in the next 12 months or 2,000 miles that i would refund $500 of the buyers money. I think that seems very fair, and is a fair price for the truck with the most desirable engine and turbo, as well as being 100% fully service, and driven regularly for the past year.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

o1951

Personally, I would be very reluctant to sell it like that, much less drive it that way.
It is a breakdown waiting to happen at the most inconvenient time.
Unreliable.
You know there is a big problem.
Continuing to run it with the bearing busted up like that is going to tear up the transfer case, and depending on how it fails, could lock up the driveline and cause an accident or lotsa driveline damage. If you did not get all the pieces out, they could circulate with the oil and destroy gear teeth.
Fixing it now may be just a new bearing and cleaning debris out.

If I bought it, knowing this - considering the labor involved, and that I do not have equipment capable of that lift, I would price the repair out at a truck shop. I bet at least $1000.00.

I won't knowingly sell anything that could cause an accident or breakdown.
Different story if I had not checked the transfer case and honestly did not know.
Anyhow - my 5 cents.

Last edited:

Tlauden

I would say if you wanna sell it either 1)get it fixed or 2) price the truck knowing it will need fixin. If you do decide to sell it make shre the buyer knows what they are gettin into. Write up a recipt and make sure you and the seller sign it before it leaves the property. List it as-is/where-is and maybe go the extra mile and go as far as saying vebie must be towed off of your property.

Just try to think of yourself and avoiding lawsuits incase some idiot buys it, drives it home, and 5 miles down the raod has a major incident.

Just my. .02

I searched quite a few threads where people had foudn similar pieces and driven 10,000 miles plus and when it finally went it just made a whining noise and there was shaft play on the input shaft. I really didnt think it was that big of an issue as far as safety. Can the ball bearings really make it out of their race? It didnt look like they could. I guess i will just keep it, i didnt really want to get rid of it anyway. I'm not at all trying to hide a problem or cause any issues, it just seemed like an issue that wouldnt cause a catastrophic failure being the balls cant come out, and it obviously has no problem chewing up the bearing cage pieces.

Where can i get these bearings? Removal of the transfer case from the top really doesn't look too hard, i think i can even do it with an engine hoist. Would a regular transmission shop be able to do this job? I saw someone here had done it themselves, ive never had one apart, but it doesnt look impossible.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched quite a few threads where people had foudn similar pieces and driven 10,000 miles plus and when it finally went it just made a whining noise and there was shaft play on the input shaft. I really didnt think it was that big of an issue as far as safety. Can the ball bearings really make it out of their race? It didnt look like they could. I guess i will just keep it, i didnt really want to get rid of it anyway. I'm not at all trying to hide a problem or cause any issues, it just seemed like an issue that wouldnt cause a catastrophic failure being the balls cant come out, and it obviously has no problem chewing up the bearing cage pieces.

Where can i get these bearings? Removal of the transfer case from the top really doesn't look too hard, i think i can even do it with an engine hoist. Would a regular transmission shop be able to do this job? I saw someone here had done it themselves, ive never had one apart, but it doesnt look impossible.
I'm sure the parts that chewed those parts up are now also damaged , metal dosen't grind up metal without damage . The tranfer case is in need of repair , until you actually take it apart you won't know what it needs . Like was posted above you either need to fix it or price for a known transfer case issue .

o1951

Tlauden has the right idea - you could sell it, not let the guy leave driving it, and write issue on the receipt.
My thought is the pieces could get jammed up in the gears and cause a lock up.

From my experience, that kind of stuff usually just busts teeth off- the weight of the truck being enough to bull it thru.
Have seen differentials where piece of retainer got in between ring and pinion. Drivers said truck jumped like going over a big rock, and then rear became rough and noisey.

Wind up either getting another rear or replacing ring, pinion, and sometimes spider gears. $$$$

Well it looks like TNJ Murray has a completely rebuilt unit for $800. They are about 15 miles from me. Does that seem like a good deal? I cant tell if it is manual or air but being i have air i can just swap the parts over right? I am not sure if i want to sell the truck now, after having done so much to it since ive owned it, ive seen what good mechanical condition its in (other than this and even then its not broken), but if i do go to resell it, i fell its better to invest the $800 for a rebuilt, vs the $400-$500 for a working take out when it comes time to sell. I feel having a fully rebuilt will add more than the $300 difference in price to the value of the truck. Am i right in thinking this?

Heath_h49008

I would suggest doing the repair yourself.

A: The hard part is actually wrestling the thing out and in, which you feel comfortable enough to do if swapping it is an option.
B: You want to keep it, it will be good experience.
C: If you are forced to sell it, you will have saved a significant sum of money.
D: Out of the truck it isn't that hard to repair.
E: Consider having it repaired by a qualified shop after you do the worst of the labor getting it out.

:2cents:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd buy that truck in the condition it's in but nowhere near $5,000. IMO it would be worth about half that, at most, in the condition it's in.

Yeah i dont have a problem removing the transfer case. I would probably buy the rebuilt unit for convenience, i could bring it to my works warehouse and use our reach truck and chain to lower it and do it in a few hours i think. I may end up investing in the chain host method if its going to take a little bit of rotating and such. I'll check it out next time i go outside. How much does it weigh? It looks about 400lbs or so.

I'm sorry to hear its only worth $2500, i would think a complete, great running LDS 1A that can be test driven would be worth that in itself and i could scrap the chassis for about $400, then the axles for $400 each for $1200 so i would think at part out value it would be atleast $4000. I guess i am just way off in price though.

Whats your opinion of value on it if i do fix it? I would think being fully serviced and having been tagged and regularly driven would add some value over that of a GL vehicle or yard vehicle. I do not have to sell it, though it's not something i really NEED to own.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to make up your mind, if you want to sell it or keep it.

Fix it before you sell or if you keep it.

If your not a good mechanic, buy a rebuilt and swap it in.

rickf

OR, Buy the rebuilt and put it in and then rebuild the one that came out and sell it. Or keep it for a spare. 2500.00 for the truck and 800.00 for a case. 3300.00 for a good truck on today's market, I guess you would offer 2500.00! I think I would offer more than that AND sign the disclaimer.

Rick

Tlauden

I'm sorry to hear its only worth $2500, i would think a complete, great running LDS 1A that can be test driven would be worth that in itself and i could scrap the chassis for about $400, then the axles for $400 each for $1200 so i would think at part out value it would be atleast $4000. I guess i am just way off in price though.

Whats your opinion of value on it if i do fix it? I would think being fully serviced and having been tagged and regularly driven would add some value over that of a GL vehicle or yard vehicle. I do not have to sell it, though it's not something i really NEED to own.
I believe $2500 is fair price with the issues it has. Like mentioned though, spend $800 on a new part, swap it out, and I think you would be back in the asking range of $5000-$5500. Remember though advertising for $5000 the buyer will try to talk you down. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. It seems like there is no steady price range for these trucks. I've seen them go for as little as $2000 in running condition and as high as 10-13k (on eBay and similar sites) I got mine for $2500 and drove it home with 0 issues, and I've seen here people pay 4k for trucks with some pretty significant issues. The price range of these trucks always boggles my mins :/

Good luck.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah i dont have a problem removing the transfer case. I would probably buy the rebuilt unit for convenience, i could bring it to my works warehouse and use our reach truck and chain to lower it and do it in a few hours i think. I may end up investing in the chain host method if its going to take a little bit of rotating and such. I'll check it out next time i go outside. How much does it weigh? It looks about 400lbs or so.

$2500 is a bit much IMHO.

I sold a LDS powered running parts truck for $1600 or 1800 last year. Bought a running LDT engine this year for $300.

Numbers wise....

$500-1000 for the engine is about what they go for. Yes some of the big name players ask $2500 for a LDS, but I bet they've been sitting on them for a while.
$1200 for the axles. The money is in the front axle. The rears are $300 each at most.
$250-300 for the transmission
$250-350 for the radiator
Then the rest depends on how you want to part it out. (Cab/bed/wiring/accessories/misc) And left over scrap.

Value wise, a 100% good running LDS powered deuce would command a little more than a LDT powered one. $500-1000 tops over normal.

FWIW, I gave $1800 private party for my first deuce. $2400 for the second. First one had some engine issues I battled with. But the second one was in good shape and a dropside. I actually paid more for my bobbed deuce than several of my others. As it sits, I honestly wouldn't go any further than $2500 for it as well.

Privately owned pricing varies honestly. Just because it's not a GL vehicle, doesn't mean that the new owner has done any PMCS. I just drove my newest truck (M931) home without any PMCS. But it's currently getting a lot done to it. (Alternator, oil change, transmission service, gear oil, exc.)

Do you have the funds to repair it? If it were me, I'd search for another one being parted out and swap the t-case. I'd keep it most likely as well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be worth $1800-$2500 in scrap.

flibob

I guarantee if you sell it the way it is some crook will buy it then sell it as a good truck. He will make money on the deal and the third guy will get the snitzel. I don't like being a pessimist but that is how some of these guys make a living. Thank you for being so honest.

I've never rebuilt a transfercase, but i wouldnt call myself a bad mechanic at all. for the couple hundred dollars i would save in labor it's worth it to me to have a professional have built it, regardless of whether i am keeping it or selling it. As it stands i am planning on buying the rebuilt case for $800 and swapping it in. I dont want to keep junk and i dont want to sell junk to someone. If my transfercase bearing went whos to say what condition the one i am swapping in is? For the $300-400 difference in price between the too it adds the value to me and most likely the buyer that the unit installed is completely rebuilt, and not just a swap.

I figured the LDS with a whistler was slightly more valuable. I dont think i am sitting on any gold mine or anything, but i do know it's a much more desirable engine.

I have a friend that does want it at the price (until i found the pieces), but aside from that if swap in the transfercase, and he doesnt want it then it will go to Ebay. I dont think my price with a new transfercase is outrageous. I've taken very good care of it and it's in good condition IMO. If it doesnt sell for that i will just keep it. I really like the truck. My daughter just turned one and it's been a costly endeavor getting her to that age, despite having pretty good health insurance , so i was thinking of selling it to pay the remaining medical bills we have before the end of the year. It would make most sense to do this year having paid so many already. I am not in dire need of money or anything, the medical companies can wait. If my wife were unemployed or we weren't married she would have qualified for everything pretty much free anyway.

Back on the subject. I'm sure if i took it apart, i could take the time and rebuild it, but i'd preffer to have it done in a day being i would be using my works warehouse and don't want it to sit there for days, not to mention that i dont have much free time myself as it is. And spending the 4 hours or so to swap in another used case to me is pointless. The value to me, or to a buyer would be worth the extra $400 for a completely rebuilt unit. And in comparision to rebuilding it myself i am assuming all new bearings, and seals etc would probably run me $200-$300 anyway. So as it sits a completely rebuilt transfercase is the option i would choose.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think you should identify the metal pieces. i have NEVER heard of bearing failure on a transfer case. the input brng that fails is on the transmission and then for a good reason like water in the trans. the transfer is easy to work on once it is out, it is just very heavy. once it is apart it may be a simple job and may or may not have hurt anything else.

rickf

I think where you are in the country has a lot to do with vehicle price also. Here in NJ I have not seen a deuce for under 4000.00 running for a long time. 5-6 years ago you could get them from G/L for 1200.00 then the prepper craze and the overseas contracts hit at the same time and the prices went through the roof. Considering several of the main suppliers of the overseas trucks were right in this area meant top dollar at G/L and anything that made it past them was way high. Still is. If I could find a deuce for 2500.00 in decent shape I would seriously consider it.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks