• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found the problem

reuben

I think.

this truck was being used by a logger, quit running and was sold to a neighbor over the hill, he tried to start it using some gas in the intake and it blew out a head gasket, he got a set and put a new one in but didn't finish putting the top end together, had it a year and decided to sell it, scrap yard perhaps, but I decided to take it. Last week I got the brake lines fixed and bled them out, they should work if the wheel cylinders don't start leaking. I hope. (don't know how long the 3 brake lines have been torn off) Then yesterday I put the engine back together, just the top hoses, lines, injectors, and a valve cover. And started looking at the fuel system. Found the fuel pump not working, just worn out, took it apart and found the magnetic driven disc shaft was so sloppy it was setting up a shimmy when it tried to run and would quit turning. Will go get one from a friends parts truck and then we'll put a couple batteries in and see if it'll run. I have a portable DC welder I can give it a boost with if needed.

reuben

Got that fixed, and the pump wires corroded off the switch fixed, but now, how do I get the fuel to flow through the injector pump? like bleed the air out. just crank it forever? I got pressure at the water bleed on bottom of fuel filter inside wheel well but nothing comes out a removed injector line when cranking.

scooter01922

first off i would check to make sure that the fuel shutoff on the IP is actually functioning and in the on position. And it can take a ton of cranking to get fuel sometimes. I'm certainly no 5 ton expert so hopefully someone else can help you further.

reuben

the shutoff plunger moves very easily, slightly springloaded open, and has a wire tied to it run through the firewall and a screwdriver tied on the other end. fancy substitute for a frozen control cable :roll: something I gotta fix but it can wait till it's running and get it in the shop.

reuben

OK, I downloaded that LDS 465 manual, looks like just what I needed to figure out what lines are going where. Looks like an older engine in the pictures than what I have but close enough. had some difficulty getting it to function, foxit kept saying, "......has developed a problem and needs to shut down" but finally dumped my foxit reader and relaoded it from the website and then it worked, even though it took 43 minutes to transfer the manual.
I learned auto mechanics from a professional mechanic but never got into diesels with it. but now, that might change. Ive got availible several of these multi fuel military engines to work on, 2 that need to be combined to make 1 good one. although that may not be necessary once I get into it. The neighbors deuce engine has a dead miss, might just be a head gasket.

reuben

Ok, I got as far as purging all air up to the injector hydraulic head, cranked the engine some more and still nothing comes out the injector line. So, I decide something's gotta be wrong with it, removed the whole injector pump from the engine and started disassembling it.
the throttling shaft on the IP hydraulic head is froze up, I suppose it got some water in it, and then sat till it rusted. I'll try taking it apart but dought it'll be fixable. there was 1 little screw missing in the fuel tank cover, enough to let in plenty of water over time.
I wondered why the fuel shutoff worked so easy, it wasn't even connected, it had slipped off the pin that it pulls on because that lever was stuck solid.

reuben

I'm givin up, it's junk, the hydraulic head of the IP that is, with closer inspection the gear is turning on the shaft, it's stuck for good, won't come apart without usin a BIG hammer. will have to garner some help and go tow that parts truck home, and hope it's got a good one.