• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found these in the oilpan

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the bottom end looks good and there are no unusual noises, I believe I'd button it up and run it.

Seth_O

Pulled the cylinder heads finally. The gaskets actually looked pretty good, there was some buildup in the water passages that caused the heads to push up a little, causing my leaks from the head. No visible damage anywhere, cylinders looks dirty but definitely good.

I do have 2 of the sleeves in the block that the pushrods go through that have come out. Do those just slide back in, or is there a trick to it? Pic's below. Good news is the cylinder sleeves look really good still, and I can't see any damage or problems anywhere. Nothing readily apparent though to cause the scratches on the pushrods.

I'm a little perplexed on this one.

Attachments

plym49

Well, I guess that the last place those pieces could have come from is the gear train at the front of the motor - or - just some junk left behind as a result of sloppy workmanship way back when.

Clay James

You should be able to just push the tappets in and be good to go. They are a loose enough fit so they can slide up and down easily. You can probably do it with one of the push rods.
It's weird about the push rods. Is it a rebuild engine? Maybe they got damaged before they were put in the engine and the rebuilders thought it wouldn't hurt anything and used them anyways. I don't see how anything in the engine could have caused that damage.

Seth_O

I keep going back to junk leftover, but these issues are new ones that have surfaced since the last oil change.

I still have to remove the air compressor and check it. At this point I am leaning towards the fuel dilution in my oil caused my compressor to take a dump and lose parts into the block. The bits were then circulated and caused the scoring inside the engine. This is purely speculation though until I pull the compressor.

Can the compressor be pulled with the radiator in the truck? I wasn't able to get a socket on there with the radiator in the way.

Seth_O

You should be able to just push the tappets in and be good to go. They are a loose enough fit so they can slide up and down easily. You can probably do it with one of the push rods.
Thanks - I'll just manuever them back into their slots.

It's weird about the push rods. Is it a rebuild engine? Maybe they got damaged before they were put in the engine and the rebuilders thought it wouldn't hurt anything and used them anyways. I don't see how anything in the engine could have caused that damage.
The engine is not a rebuild - at least thats my assumption since there is no rebuild tag, and only the original installation plate on the block. These id plates have been wrong before though - so anything is possible.

Seth_O

A'ight, to close this thread off: I finally got the air compressor off and took a look at it. It looked ruddy pristine. Clearly NOT the cause of my bits of shrapnel in the engine. I'm down to just parts that were left over in the engine and the hard driving shook them loose. I examined the valve train, heads, pistons, crank, oil pump and air compressor. None of them had any broken pieces or obvious problems.

Just waiting on the new filters to finish buttoning it up and get him running again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks