• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found this Cummins 6cta 8.3 spec spec sheet

datadawg

I wonder how much difference this spec (fire engine) has vs. what's installed in our trucks, especially since this spec sheet is dated 1997, and most of m939a2 truck engines are from late 80's to early 90's. Also was curious to see they list fuel burn of roughly 13 gph. That would mean at steady 55 mph, you're only getting around 4 mpg. I think most feedback I've seen recounting long trips claim fuel economy was 8 to 10 mpg.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Also was curious to see they list fuel burn of roughly 13 gph. That would mean at steady 55 mph, you're only getting around 4 mpg. I think most feedback I've seen recounting long trips claim fuel economy was 8 to 10 mpg."

Because it is industrial and a fire pump. Automotive, Industrial, Construction and Marine are all different animals. If someone posts an engine s/n, I can find the spec sheet

WV New Guy

The ones I have seen are for fixed facility fire protection so if a sprinkler head goes off in say an aircraft hanger the 8.3 would power up automatically and pump water thru piping .
We have 4 pumps set up like this where I work when it turns on to supply water I've never looked at the rpms but they run pretty close to wide open supplying over 1200 gallons a minute. I will have to see what rpms they run at when tripped. I have also seen some newer 8.3 Cummins in actual fire apparatus I will attempt to get pics of both Wednesday when I return to work.

74M35A2

I wonder how much difference this spec (fire engine) has vs. what's installed in our trucks, especially since this spec sheet is dated 1997, and most of m939a2 truck engines are from late 80's to early 90's. Also was curious to see they list fuel burn of roughly 13 gph. That would mean at steady 55 mph, you're only getting around 4 mpg. I think most feedback I've seen recounting long trips claim fuel economy was 8 to 10 mpg.
Not correct, because the truck traveling at 55mph is not requiring all of the engine's power to do so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks