• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found water in all 3 fuel filters, and the line into the IP on an -002a

sewerzuk

I got a few -002a's and -003a's at the last few GL auctions. I pulled one into my shop today that has about 11 hours on it and started my "normal" inspection routine. This one is a first for me...
I found all 3 fuel filters FULL of water (a little bit of fuel in the last filter; maybe a few tablespoons worth). After flushing them and putting new filters in, I ran the pumps for a minute or so and cracked the line going into the IP...pure water. Then, I cracked both injector lines...pure water clear up to the injectors. I think it is safe to say this set was running when the fuel was contaminated with water.
So, any bets on what will be necessary to get this one going again? I'm thinking IP repairs for sure. I've repaired and replaced several IP's so this is familiar territory. I've never had to replace an injector on one of these...wonder how they hold up to water?

Jimc

The inside of the ip, lines and injectors are probably rust. Dont know much about seafoam but if that doesnt work you can send the injectors to jerry aka storeman. I think he can go through them and has a setup to psi test and set them.

Isaac-1

I once had a diesel surplus air compressor in similar situation and was able to get it running just by purging and replacing filters, you never know until you try it.

sewerzuk

Well, I did remove the injector lines; clear water (no rust) there.
However, the linkage is stuck on the IP. Stuck enough that I was afraid to pry any harder on it...
So, it looks like the IP is coming off so I can see what is inside.
Fire drill tonight, so maybe tomorrow morning...

johnray13

I just removed my injectors and cleaned them up. I think the nozzle itself is brass so maybe not an issue. Since it is inside the line, without air the steel parts may not be rusty.

sewerzuk

Sewerzuk,
Kinda makes you wonder who and why, doesn't it?
Jerry
Yep. I've seen quite a few sabotaged MEP's come from the GL yard, but rarely are they sabotaged to cause permanent damage. This is actually a really good looking -002a. I had high hopes for a really easy repair/test/resell. I might actually put it back on the shelf for a week or two so I can get another one going that won't require new parts...

ETN550

Water separation in the filters on the unit really only addresses minor condensation that drops out in the fuel tank. If a large storage tank is drawn from after a refill which has stirred up things in the bottom then a lot of water could make it through. If the unit's daytank has enough water to cover the pickup tube then it can quickly fill the filters, especially with constant electric pump fuel circulation. The unit probably ran until it filled everything up to the injectors and shut down. Then they just sidelined it and never purged it. It does take time and oxygen in the water to rust. Good that the water is clear. Might have a good chance of running without needing parts.

sewerzuk

Had an hour to pull the pump and disassemble it. I've seen my fair share of these pumps...I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but this is the first actual 9328A model 50 pump I have seen in an -002a or -003a. This is the pump that actually matches up with the diagram in the TM's. All of the other pumps I have worked on were 9540A (this pump supersedes the older one) which is very similar. This is a bit of a hassle...since Ambac no longer supports the 9328A, and many of the parts are not interchangeable with the 9540A.

I will post a few pics later, but for now here's what I found:
Pump was completely full of water, but no rust or other junk. The linkage was difficult to turn due to some minor corrosion on its machined surfaces, but I managed to get it out without damage. The plunger (part number 35) broke right where the drive pin (part number 30) passes through it. The drive pin itself was completely destroyed...little metal bits everywhere. The remaining half of the plunger was seized in the pump head. I had to press it out.

So, this answers my question! That's what happens when you try to run water through your injection pump. It breaks.

pump diagram.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As much as I hate to say it, I sent all the parts for the older style pumps, to Storeman already. All I can offer you is a new IP. IMHO, those old style pumps are prone to self destruction.

Last edited:

ETN550

Had an hour to pull the pump and disassemble it. I've seen my fair share of these pumps...I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but this is the first actual 9328A model 50 pump I have seen in an -002a or -003a. This is the pump that actually matches up with the diagram in the TM's. All of the other pumps I have worked on were 9540A (this pump supersedes the older one) which is very similar. This is a bit of a hassle...since Ambac no longer supports the 9328A, and many of the parts are not interchangeable with the 9540A.

I will post a few pics later, but for now here's what I found:
Pump was completely full of water, but no rust or other junk. The linkage was difficult to turn due to some minor corrosion on its machined surfaces, but I managed to get it out without damage. The plunger (part number 35) broke right where the drive pin (part number 30) passes through it. The drive pin itself was completely destroyed...little metal bits everywhere. The remaining half of the plunger was seized in the pump head. I had to press it out.

So, this answers my question! That's what happens when you try to run water through your injection pump. It breaks.

View attachment 415925
Sorry to hear that. If anyone can fix it you can!

storeman

I totally agree with Gimpyrobb. I have an old style a fellow member sent here for rebuild. I think I got the world's last remaining cross pin from the Gimp, but am loath to send the pump back to our SS brother because I have 4 of the old design here, all of which had the same failure. Save some heartburn and upgrade to the version that the factory still supports. Gimpy, me, elsewhere, no matter.

Jerry auaaua

Last edited:

sewerzuk

Sorry to hear that. If anyone can fix it you can!
Thanks for the vote of confidence :tank:

I've actually repaired quite a few of these pumps, and replaced a few more. So I know I'll get it back together...I just hate to spend $$ on an 11 hour MEP with water in its injection system!

storeman

Time to upgrade to the newer pump IMO.

As I said earlier, I do have the shaft and cross-pin Gimpy sent me. If you want it, please e-mail me.
Jerry
"jerry@queenscreek.com"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks