• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fram CH6PLfor 003a/002a only $.50 at TSC!!!

Smokinyoda

Just a heads up. All my local Tractor Supply stores have their Fram oil filters on clearance. Not sure if regional or nationwide. I picked up several Fram CH6PL for my new 003a for only $.50 each. To bad they didn't have the fuel filters as well.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its been a while since I bought filters. The CH6LP sounds like the right filter & includes the proper gasket. Does It? I was caught once with a substitution, that although the filter itself was a comparable fit, there was no gasket furnished. I think I found the gaskets through NAPA.

My comments are just a "heads up". On some of this "Vintage" equipment we have, industry is moving along, and stuff/parts are no longer as common place as they once were.

Chainbreaker

Its been a while since I bought filters. The CH6LP sounds like the right filter & includes the proper gasket. Does It?...
Yes, the Fram CH6PL DOES include the right gaskets & washers.

A good substitute filter is the Wix 51004. IIRC, I don't believe it comes with the proper gasket that seals the top lip of the metal canister to MEP's oil filter flange on eng block:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=360542&jsn=3

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

I just looked at my local store, and $5.99 is the number.
Did you check online or were you actually in store? Online my local stores also show $5.99. I actually ordered online at that price for store pickup. They called me back and told me about the clearance and offered to cancel order and set me a couple aside until I could come pick them up.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize it is a great deal but do some research and you will see why no major national automotive parts chain sells fram.....but Walmart, Kmart do......

I sold parts for 20 years and anything is truly better than a cheap retail mass merchandise brand. YMMV

rustystud

I realize it is a great deal but do some research and you will see why no major national automotive parts chain sells fram.....but Walmart, Kmart do......

I sold parts for 20 years and anything is truly better than a cheap retail mass merchandise brand. YMMV
I've been using "WIX" for decades and have had no problems with them.

kavesman1

Since i had my first vehicle, I've used mostly Fram filters. And in 21.5 years of using them, I've only had 1 oil filter ever go bad.

That 1 bad filter had shipping damage on the casing.The guys doing the service on the truck didn't spot it. But they did when they cranked up the truck to check for leaks.

Kinda felt sorry for the guy who spotted it...he was in the pit and got sprayed by the oil. Luckily, it wasn't hot oil.

Bmxenbrett

My local TSC started clearance on filters about a month ago that i saw. Nothing i could use was still there.

I buy very few filters at physical stores any more. You can find better prices online. Buy enough and the shipping is free. I buy about a years worth of filters for a wide range of vehicles. .50c is hard to beat.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Well I actually prefer Luber-finer or Baldwin , but it doesn't hurt to have a cheap filter on the self , for $.50-$.70 it's worth it just for the extra gaskets. Also the Baldwin dealer that was a 1/2 mile from my house recently closed . The Fram is comparable to a Napa silver filter.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I actually prefer Luber-finer or Baldwin , but it doesn't hurt to have a cheap filter on the self , for $.50-$.70 it's worth it just for the extra gaskets. Also the Baldwin dealer that was a 1/2 mile from my house recently closed . The Fram is comparable to a Napa silver filter.
Back in the day we had a display on the counter of 3 cut up oil filters Fram PH8a, Wix/NAPA 1515, and ac delco for ford apps. This filter fits over 20 years from 60-80's +
Fram paper pleats were the lowest count and not even uniform of the 3, glued like it was elmeer's and done by a 5 year old, no oil drain back valve. Paper looked like junk also. Absolutely no way that it would have compared to a vastly superior silver wix filter. There is very little difference in-between silver/gold if any. Would they work, sure! Would it do the same job and filter as efficiently? Hard to tell as out of sight/ out of mind. Piece of mind? YMMV

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day we had a display on the counter of 3 cut up oil filters Fram PH8a, Wix/NAPA 1515, and ac delco for ford apps. This filter fits over 20 years from 60-80's +
Fram paper pleats were the lowest count and not even uniform of the 3, glued like it was elmeer's and done by a 5 year old, no oil drain back valve. Paper looked like junk also. Absolutely no way that it would have compared to a vastly superior silver wix filter. There is very little difference in-between silver/gold if any. Would they work, sure! Would it do the same job and filter as efficiently? Hard to tell as out of sight/ out of mind. Piece of mind? YMMV
Silver might be made by Wix , but it's still a low grade filter.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silver might be made by Wix , but it's still a low grade filter.
Not true. Try to find a spec diff inbetween their silver and gold product line. Even their wix reps will dance around the question. All come off the same line.....
Wix is a world class outfit with Plants around the world.

Silver is a lower price point for lube shops, Mom & Pop shops offering a low price low oil change to get you in the door, city and State contracts, and to compete with the frams of the world at retail Target/Kmart/WalMart. Does not carry the same rebates and incentives back to installers/jobbers hence the lower price point. Just because cheaper price does not mean cheaper quality.

Ex Napa 10 years and 3 years there as a multi million $ Napa Distribution Center Manger in another lifetime. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks