• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fram oil filter

badassissimo

I saw on the internet today that fram is no longer available. Regardless, I was recommended K&N so I got one and tried it. I had the worst time getting it off. It looked like it did it's job when I was done with it but I always liked fram for coming off using the grip. I didn't need my oil filter socket or wrench. With the K&N, my socket slipped.... I can't fit my wrench under my car easily because the location of the filter is right next to like everything. I can turn about 20 degrees... Makes for good frustration. I'd like to just coat the bottom of a K&N filter so I can go back to that recommendation without needing an hour to do an oil change. Those things get tight in there. Bigger rubber seal I guess?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can help to have the motor warm to hot when you try to remove a filter. How about a strap filter removal tool, strap on a square tube goes around filter, put a 1/2" ratchet in the end of the tube to turn filter. Gets into tight places better than a lever tool. They are available at auto parts stores. I believe I have seen bed liner spray in an aerosol can. Can you spray the end of the filter with that to form a grip surface?

badassissimo

light bulb

It can help to have the motor warm to hot when you try to remove a filter. How about a strap filter removal tool, strap on a square tube goes around filter, put a 1/2" ratchet in the end of the tube to turn filter. Gets into tight places better than a lever tool. They are available at auto parts stores. I believe I have seen bed liner spray in an aerosol can. Can you spray the end of the filter with that to form a grip surface?
this is what I was thinking. spray bed liner. wasn't sure if it was cost effective or not. guess I'll get like 5 filters and hose them down the same day to make sure I use the whole can.

strap filter removal tool? I'm curious if thatsomething going to work. pic? now I'm curious.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Tell Santa you want a belated present.
Have also used the favorite awl, drillrod, strapwrench, and screwdriver drivethru methods, all messy.
I struggled with oil filters for 39 years until I bought this.
Is about a 22° offset.
No more problems, helps with Deuce spin-on too.
filter wrench one IMG_1407.jpg
filter wrench two IMG_1408.jpg
filter wrench 22  three IMG_1409.jpg
filter wrench four 04152005 IMG_1410.jpg

I have loaned it and stood right there 'till I got it back.
Google "oil filter wrench pliers".

Last edited:

Tornadogt

WIX or nothing when it comes to filters. Several company's "relabel" Wix filters Napa Gold, Carquest Blue label (not red label), and there are more. Also for most applications there a several filter lengths that will fit, the larger (more filtering capacity) is all ways best.

Added : K&N filters are normally very fine filtration, mostly designed for thin synthetic oils. It is not ideal for thicker mineral oils and tends to be restrictive...

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay away from fram!

They are NOT the filter they were years ago.
They have been known to disintegrate internally and suck up the filter material into the engine oil passages.

Wix and Baldwin are the best filters out there.
I use Wix exclusively on all my on road vehicles. Baldwins on tractors and fuel tanks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wrench Frank referenced is great. A knockoff at harbor freight is the Pittsburgh brand Lifetime warranty. Just don't squeeze the oil filter too tight or it will puncture.

Fram is absolute junk and is now a retail brand for wal mart , kmart. No major parts chains or real parts store sell it.

I sold parts in another lifetime and wix gave us a counter display with 3 cut up filters. Wix, a/c, fram. The fram looked like it was glued together with elmers in China, cheap bypass and just looked plain junk. If you have a fram filter, i would recommend you get rid of it asap and put any known name brand.

Wix is a powerhouse and does make many private labels. For our trucks Baldwin, Fleetguard, Hastings, Donaldson, Wix heck anything but fram.
A/c is made by someone else nowadays. I have seen hit and miss articles on their quality. I am not convinced you getting anything special from them. I do have a gm but shy away from them from what I saw years ago.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I run only LuberFiner filters now. I have had good results so far and fairly prices.

Jakob1944

I run the WIX 51060 on my Humvee.....It a great filter with a back flow valve........you can get it at the O"Rileys auto parts store.....about 7 bucks with a Mil discount

Actually it's 5.84......sorry

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks