• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame chopping

icu_runnin

New modification here and just want to know if anyone here has went through the trouble of chopping the frame 25"s or so. I am trying to get my wheelbase down to about 110"s and would like some input from you guys. Should I hack up the cab (cut the rear of it out so its open and mount seats to the remaining bed, or put a k5 body on it??

mangus580

You would be better off putting a K5 body on it. But... honestly, instead of chopping up that truck, why not locate an M1009 and put better axles in it and such? It would be alot less work, time and $$ most likely.

icu_runnin

Well I am suppose to be buying a set of 10 bolts from a guy that came out of a civy K5 that have 3.07 gearing which I am sure would be much more highway friendly. I was thinking of putting the 10 botls under the cucv and selling it and putting them under something more family friendly. The only reason I wanted to hack up the cucv was for the fact the frames are so much stronger and bigger than the civy frames.

mangus580

The 1028 frame is the same as a civvy 1 ton frame, and once you have the short wheelbase of a 1009, I dont think you really want that 'strong' of a frame.

icu_runnin

I just know chevy frames arent the strongest and why not use what I have verses buying a civy 1 ton to chop up. I mean I can understand wanting to keep these in circulation but who would buy a cucv with 1/2 ton running gear? I am sure it wouldnt go for much or enough for me to replace it with a k5 or something to throw the axles under.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks