• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame height - how high is too high?

Trango

Hi everyone,

I am getting closer to a rolling chassis on my big project, and my frame height is at a somewhat disturbingly high 51".

With big lifty springs, 48" rubber, and a body lift to fit the airshift tranny, I knew it would be high going into the project, but this is REALLY high, and I'm a bit worried. This is the height at the top of the 3" spacer I am using for a body lift.

While everything is still relatively changeable, should I think about trying to, say, take apart the leafs or anything rash? Part of me thinks it will be fine, but the other part realizes that, even though I'm a pretty tall guy, the frame is still at sternum height. :)

Thoughts?

Best,
Bob

Kohburn

the only real concern to me would be your new roll center. a frame lift won't change that much but a suspension lift will.

Ridgerunner

Hi everyone,

I am getting closer to a rolling chassis on my big project, and my frame height is at a somewhat disturbingly high 51".

With big lifty springs, 48" rubber, and a body lift to fit the airshift tranny, I knew it would be high going into the project, but this is REALLY high, and I'm a bit worried.
After reading your post, I put a tape measure on mine today. From the ground to the bottom of the bumper it's at 53". You'll be fine.

Attachments

91W350

Wow! That is a tough one!

"42-4-233 Alteration of suspension system. (1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under the laws of this state upon a public highway with either the rear or front suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design."

There are thousands of nice hot rods in Colorado that have a lot of reverse engineering to do!

Trango

Thanks much, Ridge and Boat. Reassuring to know that it at least it won't be outrageously high. Also, Boat, that law in Colorado is essentially obsolete - it's not enforced and is not really considered to be valid legislation. Come see the jeeps here and you'll understand. :)

Regarding pics - guys, I'd love to once the body is back on. It's still a pile of parts in my mind -- not really that cool yet. Give me a few more weeks and then I'll make some available.

Thanks for the encouragement and help, guys.

Best,
Bob

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks