• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame Paint

reeddavid

Frame Paint - Coal Tar Epoxy???

Back Story - i just bought a m1009 in Wisconsin. Has minimal rust on frame, but some is present. I want to coat it with something in order to protect it from rust. My plan is to go down to bare metal.

What should I coat it with?? There is a lot of salt spread in Wisconsin.

I know por15 and chassis saver are popular, but they are expensive and could be hard to get off if needed for some reason.

Bed liner seems to be overkill.

Implement paint seems to be my current idea, but I'm just not sure what to do!

Just heard about coal-tar epoxy.. Its used in highly corrosive environments, including salt trucks! It is cheap and self priming. Curious if anyone has heard of it?

Last edited:
Epoxy primer, sand, and then top coat of your choice. POR15 is ment to be applied to metal that still has light rust present. If you're taking the frame down to nice clean metal then POR15 will not adhere as well as epoxy primer. POR15 uses the moisture present in the rust along with humidity in the air to cure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks