• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame Repair

Tarfu43

I'm in the process of a frame-up resto on a 43' GPW. It's my first. Consequently, I'm learning many new skills. One of which is using a MIG welder. I think I'm pretty good at it, but now I'm at the point of welding all the frame cracks, specifically at the location of the front and rear spring shackles. My dilemma is whether to simply weld the cracks and be done with it, or weld the cracks and add doublers. I've talked to many experienced welders, some professional, some not. It seems to be a 50/50 split on whether or not to add the doublers. Two of the opinions I garnered were from professional restorers with nationally known shops, who recomended I simply weld the cracks, and NOT to add doublers. Their reasoning is that the frame may develop cracks at the edges of the doublers where a "hardpoint" will be created.

I'd appreciate any advice and comments regarding this issue. Pics would be great too! I need to pull the trigger on this fairly quickly as I need to keep my momentum up. Thanks, fellas!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just weld the cracks. Lots of fishplating will hurt the collector value of the Ford.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks