• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame S/N

gcbennet

I saw once on a G503 thread that there is a number stamped on the LH rear frame but i can't seem to find it on my humvee. I'm either looking in the wrong areas or the number itself is obscured by paint, dirt, or whatever. Does anyone know where the exact location is so i can at least get the wire wheel out and start scuffing paint if i have to?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have stripped many HMMWV frames and in the process of stripping one right now...the only numbers I have ever seen are on the Very rear end of the Frame rails...
where the shackle bolts pass through, if you have an Airlift bumper on the truck, it will need to come off...i was actually looking at those numbers yesterday...I dont know what they are...almost like a date code.

gcbennet

Thanks. I've heard of that location as well as just aft of the rear most LH tie down loop bolted to the frame. I looked in both areas but didn't see anything. I don't have an airlift bumper so i'll start removing some of the paint on the rail cap and see if it's there..

dilvoy

gcbennet, Yes the frame date stamp is stamped right into the rear face of the frame end cap. You will have to get that thick carc off to find it most likely. Some of the numbers may be upside down.

NDT, the body tub number is stapmed there. There is no date code in it. It's just a number to keep track of the body tub. It has no correlation to what serial number was put on the completed vehicle other than possibly the next higher body tub number got the next higher serial number.

gcbennet

Awesome, thanks. The concensus thinks the number stamped on the rear frame is actually the julian date ie. s/n 12685 would be day 126 of 1985 (Monday, May the 6th, 1985). However, some vehicles may have had replacement frame members somewhere down the road in which case the number would not be a true representation of the actual age of the vehicle.

Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks