• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Freedom Vehicles Gama Goat Recovery, Restoration, Project

SO I would like to start out with saying a few things about our association, Freedom Vehicles.
It was an idea tossed around by a few guys, me my father, and a buddy, and then this idea turned into an actual non profit association. The reason we had this idea is because the local military vehicle group, wasn't very local(like up in one county of the state) and they didn't do anything like why we had military vehicles. Freedom Vehicles uses military vehicles, equipment, and gear to promote patriotism in the are that we are located in, in such a way that has never been done before. It is a fun hobby for us, and we get to teach people about these cool things. But not only are they cool, but they are pieces of history, they are the vehicles that kept us free, and other people free, an people don't realize what that takes. To learn more about our association, visit our website, Freedomvehicles.org

Now on to the GAMA GOAT.
So these two goats that we now own, were put up for sale locally, and we called n them and asked them if we could get them for a better deal than what they were because of what we were doing, and they said we could. So we went down and picked them up. We rented a bigger civi truck to go and get them in, and brought our flat bed car hauler trailer with us. When we got there we discovered that they were burned in a brush fire, so one half of both of them was all meted up. It was the first time we had seen a Gama goat in real life before, so we did a walk around and looked at them for a while. Then we tryed to decide how to get them on the trailer, there was no way we were going to try to start them. We tried to use a hand winch and winch them up on the trailer, but that didn't work so well. What we ended up doing, was we disconnected the trailer, got some blocks and put them in front of the trailer tires, hooked the goat onto a tow strap and onto the truck, and then pulled it up on to the trailer. It was anew idea we had never tried and it worked really well. Then we strapped it all down, then went and drove it to the place we are storing it at, and then headed back for the other one. This one was burned way worse, 2 of the 3 tires on one side all burned off. It took a little longer, but it got on there. Then we went and dumped it off and then they were where we are keeping them still. The goats are a M561 manufactured 1970, delivered in 1971, and M561 manufactured in 1973, and delivered in 1973.

Now since then, we have gone and done a little bit of work, as time permits. We replaced the fuel filters, and we have also determined that we now have a parts truck. We are not selling parts as of currently, as we need to see what we need to get the other one in ship shape order. We have moved around the good tires out of all 10 of the(cause 2 were burned gone) and put them all on one goat so that when we get it driving it will have good tires to drive on.
We were down there the last two days, and did work on them pretty much the whole time. We determined that the steering box needs replaced on the one we are trying to get to work(1973). We started replacing the burned front passenger fender, and we got it running. But it is running super high, when we started it, it just started winding up, like the governor wasn't working. We are thinking the switch is stuck. This is new for us, as we have never tackled anything as odd as the Gama Goat before.
Well I can't think of anything else to say about them, but if you have any questions then feel free to ask. I am going to call this the official "restoration"(if you could even call it that, because we are not going to do extensive work on it) thread for our M561 Gama Goat.
20160408_143736.jpg20160408_143845.jpg20160408_143847.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Well you seem to have enough "parts" to make a good one out of the two. Good luck with the very worthy project, Post up pictures and write up's of your progress.

Last edited:
Ok will do, Thanks. I do have a question for some of you goat owners, or people acquainted with the Goat, how do I get the governor to work? As I mentioned when it starts up, it just keeps going, the rpms just keep ramping up, how do I get it to idle speed?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the hand throttle is all the way in. If it's binding anywhere along the travel it could cause the over rev you're getting. Good luck!

ok will do, but I think it has something to do with the governor, because we compared the two governors on both the goats, and the one we are working on seemed to not be functioning properly.

m38inmaine

You have to remove the valve cover and see if the mechanism that controls the "rack" on each of the three injectors is moving freely. The engine manual will have pictures of the assembly.

We went and worked on the Goat, I took the cover off the injector and rack, and the things that go in the injector, the governor moves freely, but the rack is stuck. Here are some pictures, I am not sure what is wrong, Any help is of course much appreciated.
20160506_181349.jpg20160506_183525.jpg20160506_183529.jpg20160506_183533.jpg20160506_183537.jpg

m38inmaine

The rack on all or one of the injectors is most likely stuck. You will have to remove the injector and soak it in clean fuel to free them up or replace the injector. After that there is a procedure in the engine TM to adjust the rack and injector timing.

combat32

The green one looks pretty complete, good start for sure and you have a parts truck, bonus!

I have heard that Smith and Edwards in Ogden still has goat tires, if you do find some there share the wealth please:D

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Smith and Edwards is still open? I went there in 1970! I lived in Roy, Utah, just a hop skip and a jump from S&E. They always had everything we needed to fix all kinds of trucks and equipment Dad brought home. Its good to see somethings never change!

Smith and Edwards is still open, Mr Smith passed about a month ago. Sad day, I need to go up there again, it is like a 2 and a half hour drive from where i am at, so Ive only been there once. But yeah, need to go and see what more they have there.

Guyfang

Staff member
I am truly sad to hear Mr Smith passed away. A fine man. He helped me out with a rucksack when I got out of Roy High School, in the town of Roy. A few miles from where the store was. I was going to hitchhike around America, (it was 1972, and seemed like a good idea at the time). I did not have a lot of money, and was kinda in a jam with the town Sheriff. Some minor thing about driving without a motorcycle licence. Mr Smith let me have the ruck, and a pair of jungle boots real cheap. He told me to come on by and see him whenever I came back. I only went back to Roy twice in the last 40 some years, but did go see him. He laughed and laughed when I told him who I was, (it was at least 15 years later) told me he thought I was crazy, but then so were a lot of other kids at the time. A real gentleman.

BillIdaho

S&E is still open, but they don't have a fraction of what they used to. Inside towards the front is a regular hardware store/gun shop/clothing/outdoor type of place. In the back part of the store is where all the "surplus" is. 20-30 years ago, outside they had acres of lots, all filled with anything you could ask for. I could write a book about the stuff I have found in there. In the last handful of years each of the lots have been cleared out and are basically-weeds. I would drive down from Idaho, and spend a three day weekend walking around, getting into things. (One quick example--I bought "tombstone" .50 ammo cans for $25 dollars each. Now worth hundreds.)
I haven't seen any Goat specific parts in probably 5-7 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks