• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Freeing up the fan clutch without removing it

kestrelnh

Yesterday I discovered the fan clutch on my '92 M998 was stuck in the locked position. I disconnected the fan hose from the Cadillac valve, applied 120 psi of air pressure to it, and the fan didn't release. I was able to free it up with the following procedure. This was all done with the engine firmly off, and my kids where they couldn't possibly try to turn the truck on and remove my arm.

1. Disconnect fan hose from the Cadillac valve, and apply and hold air pressure (120 psi in my case). The Cadillac valve is under the hood, bolted over the driver's side wheel.
  2. Climb up onto the passenger side wheel, and with a small mallet, reach between the fan blades, and tap, pretty gently on the fan mount plate (not the fan clutch nose).
  3. Rotate the fan a bit, reached through, and tap again.
  4. I repeated this rotate-tap sequence about 3 times before the clutch started to release, and maybe a total of 5 times before the clutch was completely free. It didn't take much force.

Your mileage may vary, but I hope this helps anyone who may have a stuck fan clutch. The engine no longer sounds so much like it's a giant window air conditioner under the hood :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks