• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Freeze plug went into the block

Mike_Pop

Ok...so while I was trying to punch a hole in my freeze plug, it got driven into the block. I can barely reach it with my fingers and will spend an incredible amount of time cursing if I try to get to it again. However, I need to get it back to the hole and try to remove it.

My question is, if I can't remove it, what harm will it do if I leave it? Or, do I have to remove the oil pan to get it out?

Thanks. Arrrrrgh!!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dear Arrrrgh!!!

I would do everything possible to get that freeze plug out. It could turn up in places you really don't want a plug to be, and cause a good amount of damage later.

Mike_Pop

Maddawg,

It's obvious that I need to get it out.

I need to know how to get it out if I can't get it through the hole.

mangus580

Mike_Pop said:
Ok...so while I was trying to punch a hole in my freeze plug, it got driven into the block. I can barely reach it with my fingers and will spend an incredible amount of time cursing if I try to get to it again. However, I need to get it back to the hole and try to remove it.

My question is, if I can't remove it, what harm will it do if I leave it? Or, do I have to remove the oil pan to get it out?

Thanks. Arrrrrgh!!!
Removing the oil pan wont help.

You could try using a small magnet on a string, or one on a telescoping/pivoting arm to reach it.

Which one was it?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Freeze plug went into the block

If you can barely reach it with your fingers, is it possible that you can reach it with a pair of LONG needle nose pliers, and pull it back out the same hole? If not, I second that suggestion by mang.

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: Freeze plug went into the block

Mike,

It's on the driver side, second from the rear. I can feel it with my fingers but can't seem to get it to the hole. I tried a magnet but it's pretty tight in there.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Try taking your air gun and putting about 120 psi into the block-it will force the plug to move around and hopefully come back to it's opening, allowing you to grab it with a pair of needlenoses.

tsmall07

Re: RE: Freeze plug went into the block

clinto said:
Try taking your air gun and putting about 120 psi into the block-it will force the plug to move around and hopefully come back to it's opening, allowing you to grab it with a pair of needlenoses.
OR it could blow it around to someplace that you'll never be able to get to it.

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: Freeze plug went into the block

I wouldn't want to use air either. Better to have it accessible than stuck somewhere else.

UPDATE: I just got it out. It was in a position that can only be described as having to find a G spot on a woman. Since I have practice in this, it took some time but I finally got it to the hole and was able to grab it with my needle nose vice grips. With some tugging and twisting, it finally came out. Now the CUCV and I are smoking a cigarette and spooning.

Jones

Mike, a magnet is your best hope. Find one on a spring handle 'cause anything else won't be able to move around inside the water jacket to get at the freeze plug. Can you fish it any closer to the hole with a bent piece of coat hanger?
Hear this one out before you start laughing; I've done this and it does work. Find a small slender magnet and tape it to the end of your finger then go after the freeze plug that way. Another possible is a wrap or two of duct tape around your finger with the sticky side out. Whatever you do, you don't want to bump it any further away from the hole than is already is.

badgmc56

Go to any parts store and get some mechanical fingers. It looks like a choke cable with three or four expandable claws on the end. Reach in and pull it to the hole and then grab it with long or angled needle nose plyers. Had that happen many times and never lost one yet. Take your time and it will come right out.

gunner01

Thats on hell of a woman if you have to use all those tools to satisfy her....lmao

jwaller

leave it where it's at. the passages in the block are so small that it cant do anything but dance around in the bottom end of that side of the block. been there done that before. actually I just put a block heater in my blazer this past weekend and I had the same issue. dont sweat it. it cant get out of the bottom end of the block and wont do any damage floating around in there.

Mike_Pop

Haven't you guys read the previous posts? I got it removed. Thanks for the tips however. Now I can see how well my block heater works.

mangus580

jwaller... not sure I would leave one in there. it can block coolant flow... and the 6.2 is somewhat lacking already!

Mike... Glad you got it out. Me personally wouldnt mind seeing the tips continue... as it makes a good reference for someone later.

Mike_Pop

I did read somewhere that guys have left them in the block but it's not something I would want to try.

jwaller

I dont recommend you just leave it in there from the get go but I doubt it's going to cause any harm. I dont think its going to block any flow as in cut it to zero but sure it's going to cause it to swirl and change the flow some.

CCATLETT1984

I had the same thing happen when i put my block heater in. Was a PITA to get it out, and I was doing it in 20F weather to boot.

jwaller- do you really want to risk blowing your head gaskets or cracking the block/warping the heads because you left it in the block? I sure as hell didnt.