• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Freeze plugs and starter questions

Hal O'Peridol

A couple of weeks ago my 1009 blew a freeze plug. Fortunately I stopped in time before any damage done to the engine.

Couple of days ago stopped at the NAPA store to get a couple of replacement freeze plugs. I got two of the metal cup types and threw in one of the expanding rubber types "just in case".

The leaking plug was up above the starter. I got underneath the truck and looked up at the starter. The truck had been converted to 12 volts. I noticed no brace on the starter. I had heard on here this was a bad thing. But looking up at the starter I was amazed at how small it was. Nothing like the big heavy GM starters i have been used to.

I pulled the starter, and looked up at the freeze plugs. There was one of the rubber ones already in the block, and where the other one was supposed to be was nothing, plug completely gone. Where it was located there was no way to get one of the metal ones in, barely enough room to put in and tighten the rubber one, which is what I did.

Questions are......How long do the rubber freeze plugs last?

If the truck has a new 12volt lightweight starter, does it need a brace?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rubber plugs should last years.

The bracket is required even for the gear reduction starters, because of the amount of compression the engines have.

Without it you run the chance of breaking starter bolts, starter nose cones or even the block.

Cheap insurance for ~$10

Hal O'Peridol

Yep, that's what I thought. I'll give my little brother a call, he's the regional parts manager for a GM dealer.

All went well so far, filled up the engine with 50/50 h20 antifreeze, did have a heart in throat moment when the water pump cavitated on a big air bubble..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks