• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frequent Break Downs

johnhenry

I'm new to steel soldiers, but to read some of the posts, it sounds like the military trucks are pron to problems? ...If so, is it because of their age, or just rough use?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not many guys....or girls, post until there is a problem but it's a good question to start a positive thread for a change.

After I bought my M1010 she plowed snow and ran parades for 6000 miles with just regular maintenance. I did baby it, bathed her, parked her in a warm shop, so the driving conditions and driver will dictate life-span. My problems came when it sat for a year and a half. Having a great knowledge base on what 'not to do'...like trying to start them with one bad battery....helps extend the life. I expect that the new owner will be able to run it for another 20 years if he treats her good.

My 60 year old M135 has toured for 5 years with a few minor leaks but with a serious maintenance regime she just keeps going. Restoration was done on Brakes, Steering, Rubber, electrical, Paint, etc but it still has all the original drive-train that I bought it with.

It'll be cool reading about other long term life-spans the honored Steel Soldiers have achieved. Great firstish post and welcome aboard to Steel Soldiers!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Both. Most of the trucks have sat most of their life. Then we get them and head to the trials, it takes a toll on the old parts!

When I built my m35, I took it for a drive to the Carolinas and on the way, I shredded probably 30 alt/fan belts. I did not realize that while sitting in the junk yard the crank pulley had rusted. Once we realized what was going on, some sand paper and effort, no more shredded belts. Its just hard to tell what will pop up.

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the problems i have experienced in the past were the result of not being used a lot, sitting around. seals drying out belts crack etc or can be age and abuse like you mentioned.

machinist75

It's the sitting that kills them. All the seals rot out. In the civy world these motors run everyday with a million miles on them with no problem.

Artisan

If you like to wrench on things they a lot of fun.
If you always pay someone to wrench on your vehicles you should pass,
unless your wealthy or have your own private mechanic. HA!

But once you get it up to par, so long as you exercise it regularly
they last pretty good unless you bash things or drive in salt water.
Buying from a private party can be a good thing.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I have had to change a lot of things on my 923 but I got it in feb with the assumption it will need some attention before it is 100% road worthy. I do my own wrenching so with a few beers and a nice weekend or 2 it all came together just fine but they are like anything else stay up on the maintenance for sure

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go buy a new car today and park it in your driveway for 20-40 years.

Try driving it daily(20-40) years later.

But wait, it was brand new...

74M35A2

People never like when I say this, but these vehicles are disposed of by the military, and for a reason. They are old/tired. We buy their garbage, it is a business transaction, and they can sometimes get more for them from us in the civilian market than scrap value.

Another thing to keep in mind is that military vehicles were designed to have an unlimited supply of replacement parts and mechanical support. In other words, the taxpayers picked up the bill for parts and maintenance so periodic breakdowns or rebuilds were not as big a deal to a motor pool than they are to a private owner. They were also designed to be surrounded by dozens (if not hundreds) of vehicles that were pretty much identical to one another (parts commonality, backup trucks etc.)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My 1973 m819 looks like crap, BUT very very RELIABLE, like anything it takes routine maintenance, even NEW CARS needs routine maintenance, also it depends on how you treat a vehicle, I can take a brand new Cat D9R up in the rock and get 2000 hr before any major welding is needed, OR I have seen others SLAM/BANG and not even get 8 hr. BEFORE the dozer has to be drug off the hill.

dmetalmiki

Well I have owned a few trucks, and most of my collection have done a lot of miles, the 5 tons have pulled a deuce to shows many times. Sometimes a deuce and a jeep both!. And I have never had to have a tow or a major breakdown. We HAVE had some " near misses", Bust turbo..Gearbox stuck in second, Fuel problems, electrical mishaps, 'nothing serious!' AND they have Always "got us home".