• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fresh M1009 recovered from Ft. McCoy--starter in cab?

SGT Estum

Well, I just picked up my first M1009 purchased through GL. The process was fairly painless and my franken-tow-bar (thanks to this forum for the idea) got me home in one piece.

The only real surprise was that the starter was taken off and was sitting in the cab. I haven't been able to make sense out of that one yet. Anybody ever pick one up with the starter off?

Attachments

Chief_919

Well, I just picked up my first M1009 purchased through GL. The process was fairly painless and my franken-tow-bar (thanks to this forum for the idea) got me home in one piece.

The only real surprise was that the starter was taken off and was sitting in the cab. I haven't been able to make sense out of that one yet. Anybody ever pick one up with the starter off?
Every one I have seen with the starter off either had broken starter bolts or the flywheel ring gear was worn from a loose or badly shimmed starter.

SGT Estum

Every one I have seen with the starter off either had broken starter bolts or the flywheel ring gear was worn from a loose or badly shimmed starter.
Well, this gives me an excellent place to start!!

Also, I'm going to dig in the TMs a bit and see if I can bench test the starter somehow. I may be able to rig it up with my battery charger or something. Granted, it won't be 24V but it should be enough to determine that the starter isn't completely dead.

SGT Estum

Looks solid! I hope my recovery goes that well, whenever the EUC comes thru.
Thanks...it appears to be in pretty good shape. The only really sad part is that the driver's door window was busted out.
I noticed the lock was changed on the driver's door and the key doesn't open it. The truck was stacked tight in a row with another blazer snugly on the passenger side. The rear window doesn't want to roll down.
So (and I'm guessing here) they probably broke it out to get in instead of moving the truck next to it and unlocking through the passenger door. Real bummer.

erniemigi

yeah you r able to bench test it with a battery or a jumper pack, we did that and noticed it was not engaging like it should have, so we dismantled it and found it really scummy inside, the brushes had alot of life left but the copper ring and the copper bolts were just black as can be, cleaned it all up, put it all back together and it works great, thank god :), yeah i thought the same thing about the rear window when i got mine, dumb a*@ me forgot to unlock it, but even after that is was real hard to get it to go down so we took the panel off and sprayed the **** out of the gears with white grease and after a little bit of cranking it up and down it works great, if it is really rusty in there i would use some PB Blaster first and let it sit awhile to break up all the corrosion then try cranking the window, if that works then spray the white grease on every gear and the tracks that the window is on, by the way the truck looks good, have fun with it

Last edited:

SGT Estum

For those curious: I found a shop in the twin cities area what rebuilds starters/alternators. When I called them the guy I talked to was familiar with the 24V starter from the M1009, much to my surprise. I took the starter in today; they cracked it open and showed me the burnt-out parts. Since they don't do a high volume of rebuilds for this particular starter, they are going to shop around and get me a price later this week.

Can't wait to get this puppy running.