• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fresh Resto 5 M1009

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!

I am no professional...I just play one on TV! Really, I know what I am good at and stick to that. Many more guys on here with skills I will never come close to having! I do the cosmetic restorations and avoid the real BIG body projects. Did that and been there...never again.

Buy the BEST truck you can afford NO RUST ect... and you will be way ahead in the long run, unless you WANT to do the work yourself. ;-)

David

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interior painted

Well I had some time off today and the weather was good so I got the interior taped, primed and painted with the Navy Gray color. I think it's going to be very cool, i am very happy with the color, it's hard to see in the pictures but its just the right shade of gray..not to light and not to dark. With the black interior and black wheels it will be awsome.

David

Attachments

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next...

Thanks, next I am going to Herculiner in floor, dye the door panels, install the black dash pad, install the seats and everything else!! :cookoo:

Nickaru

It's great to see the pics as you go. Thanks for the updates.

I thought sanding that CARC paint was hazardous to your health. Cancer causing?

I'm just looking for more information on sanding the exterior paint because I want to do the same thing and repaint it.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Primer

Another nice day...half of it wasted on a VERY VERY wild goose chase for another M1009/M1008 to buy....watch out folks their are some real used car salesman out there who will tell you anything to sell their JUNK!! :evil:

But I did get home in time to primer my truck. Paint will have to wait until another day.

David

Attachments

Last edited:

NICK_M1009

Another nice day...half of it wasted on a VERY VERY wild goose chase for another M1009/M1008 to buy....watch out folks their are some real used car salesman out there who will tell you anything to sell their JUNK!! :evil:

But I did get home in time to primer my truck. Paint will have to wait until another day.

David
Sorry to hear about your waste of time. I've been on some of those goose chases. I'm pissed just hearing about it, and to think you could have got alot more done and posted more pics. Lookin good tho...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
Sorry for a stupid question. Is there any specific reason you don't remove the top prior to paint? It's just a question.

And I flat love the Navy gray. That's why I asked. When you change colors like that how many coats to get a good coverage?

Love it. Can't wait to see the finish...

Freedive4life

Do not use Herculiner. That stuff is junk. It takes a very long time to dry, it dries soft, and it has a very low amount of VOC's. I recommend Raptor Liner. Its a two part epoxy bedliner, that is sprayed on instead. It can also be tinted in the color of your choice. It's more expensive, but if you care about keeping your vehicle, get this instead.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am impressed like everyone else who has watched this thread. The ole 1009 never looked so good. Starting with a good sound vehicle is critical. Also, like David said, we have some real losers out there wanting top dollar for junk. As the vehicles we seek dry up, the law of supply and demand will take over. They can keep their junk. I would rather pay more for vehicles like this that you can drive instead of looking at the "to do" list every night and knowing what I will be doing on my day off. David thanks for taking the time to so us hows its done if you really want to do it right.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. Yep I could go on for an hour about my trip yesterday dealing with a real toolbox...but I wasted enough time on that !!

I have had good results with Herculiner, I have used it on my own trucks and my ones to sell with no issues. I am sure everyone has his own preferences.

No need to take the top off these to paint as most people never take them off. If you ever wanted to you could touch up the paint with the srpay cans for Rapco. But the coverage is not effected buy the top being on while painted, you could never tell the color it was before.

With this truck because I was changing colors from very dark to very light I used t 2 coats of the gray primer then I will put on 3 coats of the color Navy Gray. The primer helps with all the numbers, markings from bleeding through the final color. Primer also, gives it a more even finish. :-D

David

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes...

You do all that in a two car garage?

I'm impressed, by all your threads.

Yep, I would love to have a big shop some day... but I just built this house 5 years ago and made the garage a big 2 car so I could work in it for now. It has a gas furnace and plenty of light. I have 8 acers so plenty of room for trucks, and a shop!

BTW... this is where I did 10 muscle car restorations before the CUCV's!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks