• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Friend just got a M-135, needs some advice

My friend just bought a beautiful M-135 truck and trailer, but we have some questions that I am sure someone on here has the answers to. :)

1) I have heard of the Memphis Shift Kits, but Memphis Equipment Company no longer carries or sells these. Are they necessary, desired, or for that matter, available anywhere else?
2) Are there any particular items (that get regular wear) that are unique to the truck series that I should find to keep as spares? Anyone selling any of these?
3) Does anyone have the heater kit piece that goes on the hood? Heater is mounted in the engine compartment, but the hood cutout removable piece is still in place and whatever goes there is missing.
4) It has some play in the steering. Is this common?

Thanks for any and all help. I will get him to post some pictures of it when he takes them.

And if you have any parts for sale for these, let me know.

hellonwheelsv100@gmail.com or 503 891 5324

Dave C

135gmc

4) Play in the steering gear can usually be adjusted, but if it's elsewhere in the steering system, parts will be needed. I usually kept my truck at less than 1" of steering wheel slack. Another trick that really makes a difference is to balance the front tires - you'll be amazed how much better the truck drives with balanced tires.
3) The air scoop for the outside of the hood is common to just abiout all the heater kits. Check with any of the surplus delaers who have truck parts, and they probably have one spare floating around. They also show up at flea markets as take-offs.
2) Keep a spare distributor cap, spare points, a spare coil, spare turn signal & stop bulbs, and a spare headlight on the truck - these are all parts that are darn near impossible to find in a hurry at NAPA - an ammo can holds spares real well, and if you stash it in the truck's tool box, it will keep them undamaged and clean. Also pack some 14 gauge vehicle wire and a roll of electrical tape, and maybe a spare circuit breaker or two. Also, install an in-line fuel filter right in front of the carb in case something gets through the in-tank filters. If you prowl junk yards, pick up a spare in-tank fuel pump - they last about forever, but I always carried one. A radiator cap is also nice, just in case. Also, a roll of paper towels and some spray window cleaner (cleans hands as well). A tube of Go-Jo is also a good idea.
1) As long as you remember to only back up in low transfer range, the truck runs pretty well without the Memphis kit. In high range, you can drive the truck like a very large Chevy and let it shift by itself, but in low range, the shifts can be kinda sudden. Read the TM, and you'll do OK. Sometimes, I'd let the trans shift by itself, and then I'd use the right side of the shift tower to hold it in a particular gear.

If you ever see a spare muffler or exhaust manifold, buy them. None of the US dealers have any mufflers anymore, but Asbury or any of the Canadian dealers might have some (the Canadians ran the GMCs longee than the US did), and the exhaust manifolds sometimes crack so they are getting scarce.

Stan Leschert

Brian said he still had some NOS parts about a month ago. The exhaust manifold might be tricky ...

DO NOT EVER ALLOW THE TRUCK TO MOVE IN REVERSE,
UNLESS THE TRANSMISSION IS IN THE LOW REVERSE POSITION.

Download the TMs and read them all!

Here's a starter kit.
MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M135

If you need more specifics, let me know. (PM)
When I find my PDFs for some of the other TMs,
I'll try to upload them to the resources section on SS.

In the meantime, do a search on this site for M135 / M211,
and you can catch up on what's been going on recently.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another one.....sweet

Congrats and prepare to fall in love.

135GMC nailed a list so I underlined the obvious. Those words come from experience and 'carried with you', makes good sense.

The extra parts that are needed will also depend on your 'needs list' and the "list of things to do". Once you/ we see the truck you get to decide where you take it....awesome.

When we started tearing brakes apart we found seized adjusters, rotted cylinders, squeezed brass? washers.....12 per wheel I think, rotting hoses etc..then came the diffs, u joints, steering, seals....our extra parts list changed and is still changing.

Hopefully, yours won't be beat-up.

Don't know about heaters but let us know what else you need.

Time for an international G749-GMC 2 1/2-ton 6X6 parts database..

Show us pics soon....

4) Play in the steering gear can usually be adjusted, but if it's elsewhere in the steering system, parts will be needed. I usually kept my truck at less than 1" of steering wheel slack. Another trick that really makes a difference is to balance the front tires - you'll be amazed how much better the truck drives with balanced tires.
3) The air scoop for the outside of the hood is common to just about all the heater kits. Check with any of the surplus dealers who have truck parts, and they probably have one spare floating around. They also show up at flea markets as take-offs.
2) Keep a spare distributor cap, spare points, a spare coil, spare turn signal & stop bulbs, and a spare headlight on the truck - these are all parts that are darn near impossible to find in a hurry at NAPA - an ammo can holds spares real well, and if you stash it in the truck's tool box, it will keep them undamaged and clean. Also pack some 14 gauge vehicle wire and a roll of electrical tape, and maybe a spare circuit breaker or two. Also, install an in-line fuel filter right in front of the carb in case something gets through the in-tank filters. If you prowl junk yards, pick up a spare in-tank fuel pump - they last about forever, but I always carried one. A radiator cap is also nice, just in case. Also, a roll of paper towels and some spray window cleaner (cleans hands as well). A tube of Go-Jo is also a good idea.
1) As long as you remember to only back up in low transfer range, the truck runs pretty well without the Memphis kit. In high range, you can drive the truck like a very large Chevy and let it shift by itself, but in low range, the shifts can be kinda sudden. Read the TM, and you'll do OK. Sometimes, I'd let the trans shift by itself, and then I'd use the right side of the shift tower to hold it in a particular gear.

If you ever see a spare muffler or exhaust manifold, buy them. None of the US dealers have any mufflers anymore, but Asbury or any of the Canadian dealers might have some (the Canadians ran the GMCs longer than the US did), and the exhaust manifolds sometimes crack so they are getting scarce.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New M135

That is ridiculous. . . . . . pea gun on the top, good canvas, a trailer, clean, a little dribble on the rim...Absolutely beautiful.

A gun truck, wow. Can we hear it shoot?

It looks like it's "check the fluids", "clean the filters", and go. Amazing find!!!

Mo pics, dash, mileage, birthday, engine, thanks much for sharing.

Yes, it does need a winch- anyone have one? Also, brakes seem to be iffy on it- any pointers? Common problems? Lastly, anyone have a pic of how the pioneer tools mount behind the seat??
Thanks!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with Stopping

Some of the best data for checking those brakes is TM9-1819A

Part 1 of 6 if you access through militarytrucks.ca

Chapter 10, pages 248-274, great reading.

It's safe to say going through the entire brake system before operating is first, numero uno, and must be the number one thing on every MV'ers mind. Good call on looking at them.

My rubber brake lines were cracked and a terminal detonation while being used is not acceptable.

Get it up on blocks, remove the wheels (reverse thread left)and get us some pics.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please keep the pics and info coming THAT truck is beautiful truly NOT what I was expecting especially the 66 ring, AWESOME truck and truly a great find!
KK

JGBallew

This, Indeed.

I've seen M211's with so much slop in the steering gearbox, that the slop was better measured with a tape measure.

Balancing (and checking the wheels for true) make a huge difference.

Thanks all. If my friend hadn't bought it I would have. The guy we bought it from gave him an incredible deal- less than 4500 for everything- along with new tires, tarp, dummy 50, ring, trailer, etc!!! It was an ex-fire truck, but wasn't modified- only painted red. He sanded it down, and painted it back with all the original markings. The tires still said 52 on them, but were cracked so he replaced it with new ones, even though they were 1 size larger than stock. Under 11,000 actual miles. :beer: Woo-hoo!!

135gmc

One other trick that helps -- weld a stiffener under the bumper filler panels (the flat panels that are bolted to the top of the bumper so you can stand on the bumper). All they are built with is a bend in the sheet metal at the back of the panel to stiffen it so it doesn't bend down when you stand on them - except they will bend down if you stand on them. Weld some 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle to the bottom of the panels along the back edge, and they won't bend when you hop onto the bumper. Another motor pool trick was to bolt an old tailgate handle/step to the bottom of the bumper so it would be easier to climb on. If you really want to get fancy, drivers in Vietnam used to scrounge a tank interior light fixture (tank or anything armored would be about the same), and install it in the truck cab so there would be an interior light. They often bolted them onto the side of the cab over the driver's left shoulder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks