• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frigging Mice

Bill W

Pulled off some of the ASK panels off my 003A today to get to my DC volt reg to which having the panels out of the way gave me a chance to open the cowl door by the cyl heads :shock: Mister mouse has been busy., I also found two glow plug connectors that had come unhooked.

Attachments

Bill W

No telling how long ago that mouse did his dirty work as this is the first time I had a chance to open the genset up, My neighbors cat just about lives in my barn and he's pretty much wiped out the local chip monk population so I'm hoping this guy got nailed also. Hmmm... Of course maybe it might have been one of those Alabama possums snuck over and got in there :lol:

Polycop

I've got moth balls and mouse poison bars in and around my 003A and my generator looks like Bill's when I lift the cover.

I think about the best way to keep the mice out is build a barn metal wall about 3' high around the generator. It would look stupid but it would keep the mice out as they can't jump that high. I haven't got around to it but it think it would be the BEST solution.

762luver

Hey Bill,

I've got an ASK for a MEP-002a that didn't come with any hardware. Can you tell me what the screw size is that bolts the pannels together? I assume they are the same.

I think it's a 1/4-20 but after about a thread it starts to bind and I don't want to strip out the nuts. Is this a thread locking mechenism?

mistaken1

Hey Bill,

I've got an ASK for a MEP-002a that didn't come with any hardware. Can you tell me what the screw size is that bolts the pannels together? I assume they are the same.

I think it's a 1/4-20 but after about a thread it starts to bind and I don't want to strip out the nuts. Is this a thread locking mechenism?
Did you try a 1/4"-28 fine thread?

762luver

Nope, I must have missed that one at the hardware store. I got a few "known" samples to try. I guess i'll try another 25 cent thread gage!

Bill W

Its a 1 1/2"long shoulder bolt with 1/4-20 thread.
The shoulder bolt keeps you from cranking down on the bolt and crushing the sound panel

Attachments

Last edited:

762luver

It looks like from your pic the shoulder is 1" long with the o/a length of 1.5".

Is the head an allen wrench type?

Thanks for the information

762luver

I have to place an order with McMaster for the square beveled washers, bolts and other mounting hardware, so I guess I'll add the shoulder screws as well.

If you are handy with sheet metal, those doors shouldn't be to hard to fab up. You may consider talking to a HVAC shop. The one near me does custom work all the time in stainless and copper. I think a shop like that would be able to get you a few of the latches and other parts you may need if you do the work your self. The shop should be able to help you source the sound insulating material as well.

Good luck!

762luver

I have to place an order with McMaster for the square beveled washers, bolts and other mounting hardware, so I guess I'll add the shoulder screws as well.

If you are handy with sheet metal, those doors shouldn't be to hard to fab up. You may consider talking to a HVAC shop. The one near me does custom work all the time in stainless and copper. I think a shop like that would be able to get you a few of the latches and other parts you may need if you do the work your self. The shop should be able to help you source the sound insulating material as well.

Good luck!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure-Fire DeMicer

THIS is a time-proven Mouse Deterent and Eradication Device, "on duty" on the cowling of The ARK.

Notice that this particular model features the "Polydactyl" option (Extra Toes on his front feet). This "little guy" is named "Doc" and he's become quite talented at using those extra toes just like a human hand - He can pick up a pencil from a tabletop and shread ANYTHING better than John Deere attachment.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks