• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From fire truck to MTV

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem with series is shade, have lots of deciduous trees around here so if a single panel is shaded, it would kill half my output. (From my very limited research) I plan to look at some technical reports, forums seem to be ripe with opinions instead of facts from the RV community.
On a larger scale yes, but you're talking about the difference between 3 panels and 2 panels in a very small area. Any shade is likely to shade most of your array anyway. But, if your being tactical, you can have 3 sets of 2, each on their own MPPT so if the back of the truck catches shade at least the front is clear. Either way you're still losing some production. It'll be six/half dozen.

we plot shading on a "shading plan" which shows the arc that a tree (or object) makes over the roof array, then we move panels out of that path.

More or less Series panels doesn't really solve shading on a small array. Only getting out of the shade does that. You'll have a 'shaded' output, and a 'non-shaded' output that you'll have to manage around.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the batteries, a bit over 15 kWh.
300lbs so was considering where to place them to keep passenger/driver side but habitat corners were within a few mm to the ground so doesn't look like it matters much.

View attachment 921094
😳$6500 of batteries sitting there. Your truck will soon be worth 100k

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been working hard on the truck trying to get it done soon so we can go on adventures, haven't been taking many pictures though. Mcmaster and Amazon love me right now.

The storage boxes came in, still need to mount them. I maxed out the size so need to be careful with clearances. All 24"tall, 24" deep. 1x 36"w, 1x 48"w, 2x 56" w.

Finally cut a hole for cable passthough into the box. Core sample shows (from the bottom) 1.75" spray foam, 1.25" shipping container plywood, .5" dry core insulation, .5" particle board.

Solar is hooked up and working, still a ton of wiring to do. Hopefully tomorrow I will complete the wiring for the inverter, then I can plug it into the house power, or run the generator (and it will auto switch power between them).

Attachments

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fun milestone today, charging the electric truck from the....military hybrid diesel-electric truck? Try to guess our political leanings 😄
Lots of learning to do as there are tons of options with the Victron equipment. Generator and shore power inputs are up and running.

20240425_165819.jpg20240425_165352.jpg20240425_124040.jpg20240425_124021.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks