• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From Montana

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Been there done that biggest problem at that temp is keeping the fuel filters wrapped with towels and wire to keep them from gelling up and keeping that throttle pulled back wide open all day
Or you end up walking back about 3 miles to get a new filter and another 3 miles back up and down a ridge to put it on and wrap it better next time.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only about 40 below zero with up to 60 below zero wind chill trying to plow snow blowing into the open cab after you hold the glow plugs on for 2 minutes and tap the frozen starter to kick off :ROFLMAO:
When we converted from front engine 77s to rear engine 63s and 73s our snorkles blew on the back of our shoulders and head and i never got as warm as it blowing me in the face and youve got to put the side covers on each side of your legs to cut that side wind freezing your bottom half lol

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
When we converted from front engine 77s to rear engine 63s and 73s our snorkles blew on the back of our shoulders and head and i never got as warm as it blowing me in the face and youve got to put the side covers on each side of your legs to cut that side wind freezing your bottom half lol
Yeah I have a plan on that behalf, I got some tinted RV windows I’m going to mount on sheets of steel to make them removable sides for summer. These are the tempered windows so they won’t shatter easily.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Forgot to mention… the auctioneer doesn’t know military vehicles or equipment cause he didn’t list in the auction that it has 3 MWO tags on it. There is one I can read from 2009, but rest are covered in paint, I do know also the alternator was rebuilt too in Ft. Stewart.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Forgot to mention… the auctioneer doesn’t know military vehicles or equipment cause he didn’t list in the auction that it has 3 MWO tags on it. There is one I can read from 2009, but rest are covered in paint, I do know also the alternator was rebuilt too in Ft. Stewart.
Can't wait to see some more pictures of your new-to-you truck. The auction pic makes it look pretty sharp. Maybe out there where you are - just maybe there is a little less competition bidding on military trucks. Hope so anyhow...

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Can't wait to see some more pictures of your new-to-you truck. The auction pic makes it look pretty sharp. Maybe out there where you are - just maybe there is a little less competition bidding on military trucks. Hope so anyhow...
He was from Colorado, so I believe he has been around a bit though young kid. I say young as in I’m 41 and he is in his 20’s. Age might be just a number, but he looked young in life in general too.
Pictures coming up next week!

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Bringing her home, does about 55 mph before the over speed light comes, needs new radiator cap and air pressure going up to 150 PSI freaking the CTIS out and pops off const when climbing. Came with few extras I can use, trash water pump, someone deleted the muffler, also they had a spare tire for her. Seems it needs a new radiator cap, it’s dripping sometimes up top but according to my laser thermometer all is fine, so far 50 miles, 425 to go!A3EF4FC7-B912-4847-9FAB-A86851EDD180.jpegDC4D6A93-D137-43C2-A73C-CC413D1A671E.jpeg7B83A9BC-971C-4613-9E43-A0A31CBE1E97.jpeg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bringing her home, does about 55 mph before the over speed light comes, needs new radiator cap and air pressure going up to 150 PSI freaking the CTIS out and pops off const when climbing. Came with few extras I can use, trash water pump, someone deleted the muffler, also they had a spare tire for her. Seems it needs a new radiator cap, it’s dripping sometimes up top but according to my laser thermometer all is fine, so far 50 miles, 425 to go!View attachment 870505View attachment 870506View attachment 870507
The overspeed is for the CTIS nothing else. Unplug the CTIS and drive at the speed you want.

You have a bad pressure protection valve that is not letting air get to the air governor on the firewall

Do your wipers or horn work? If no it's definitely a PPV

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
The overspeed is for the CTIS nothing else. Unplug the CTIS and drive at the speed you want.

You have a bad pressure protection valve that is not letting air get to the air governor on the firewall

Do your wipers or horn work? If no it's definitely a PPV
They disconnected the horn but no wipers so I surmise it’s that if I can find it.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Glad to see you got it on it way home. You did say "her", so if that's the case, she's gotta have a name 🤷
Also, when you get a chance, we need to make a thorough inspection via tons of pictures 😉
Think I should go with “In memory of Lucille” for her name. Lucille was her predecessor that was taken out by 107 mm rocket in Iraq.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Got her home, will upload pictures or a video later. The pop off valve on the air dryer decided to pop off its last load and shoot a o-ring out the side within 100 miles from. Scavenged around after taken it off and found a old #10 or 12 scared, cut the head off it and shoved the screw in the valve then staked it in there. That got it home, don’t idle too long and keep the rpm’s up the air stayed up enough to move and stop. Put new radiator cap on it to stop the dribbles and other than that a clogged air filter needs cleaning and it shifts down hard to 1st no matter what.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks