• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front airbag suspension in a 5 ton

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Has anyone done one? I'm thinking about doing something with the "SEMTT" like this. I was looking at a trailer air ride suspension and I would think that something like this could be used if you added a panhard rod and maybe some sort of swaybar setup?

4274-2.jpg

I'm thinking one with an eyelet setup like the factory leafs might be an easy one to use. Just use the front spring mounts for it and figure out a means to mount the link that prevents wrap.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could be wrong, but did some version of a 5 Ton delivered to the Marines have an airbag rear suspension? Could something like that be used for your application? I think there were some military tractors that used the air bag rear suspension but i am not sure which. Then you run into the issue of looking for a gear ratio to match your front axle too.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, I'm looking to have the front end setup on a air ride suspension, the axle will remain the 5 ton rockwell. The rear inverted leaf tandem setup would stay the same too.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if current tractors have airbags on the front axle. Next time I see one I will look. The easiest way would be to adopt something already out there to the rockwell axles.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That looks like it's more "in line" like a leaf spring would be. But I wonder how bad the hop/twist would be on it when the axle tries to wrap under power or braking.

jw4x4

An airbag suspension on a steer axle would be a risky proposition, unless it was used as some type of overload and not the sole support of the front axle. Losing an airbag on a drive axle is bad enough (been there, done that). The thought of that happening on a steer axle makes me cringe. At minimum, there would have to be some type of stops installed just in case.
I would really like to bag the rear of my 932.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I *think* that volvo setup is a leaf spring and the bags are to fine tune it. But I would say a monoleaf like that probably would squat real quick if the bag burst or had a leak.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I'm looking to have the front end setup on a air ride suspension, the axle will remain the 5 ton rockwell. The rear inverted leaf tandem setup would stay the same too.
Oh, I'm sorry.

Could you do air bag assist on a leaf axle instead of redesigning the front suspension?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well that volvo setup looks like it'd be pretty simple to use outside swapping the spring mounts. Maybe an airbag between the pack and the frame would improve the ride.

chigger

I've done it with a Deuce. I did both front and rear. The rear is a triangulated 4 link (single axle rear) while the front is a 3 link with a panhard bar. the reason for the 3 link in the front is that there wasn't room for a triangulated 4 link due to the engine location. The problem I ran into is that I used really large diameter airbags and one side had very limited space and has a potential to rub. The space problem was due to the differential so close to one side. I have a 4 inch tow strap cut up and sewn back together into a simple band. I slipped the band over the outside of the airbag when it was deflated and it prevents the one bag from fully expanding to prevent rubbing. It actually worked extremely well and I have been using it for a few years now without any problem.

My truck has hela long travel. My links are about 5 feet long. I use 4 huge sway bars to keep it somewhat under control. On the rear I have a monster truck sway bar just like the race teams use on the race monster trucks. It is 1-3/4" diameter. I also have a huge motorhome sway bar that I lengthened (also 1-3/4"). On the front I use an identical lengthened motorhome sway bar. The last front sway bar is actually a torsion bar from a late model 1 ton chevy truck. It is connected close to the center of the front axle with a single pivot point. The other end is attached right next to the transfer case with a double pivot joint. My shocks are custom 3" diameter reservoir shocks with the valving maxed out stiff (ADS racing shocks). My truck weighs 14,000 lbs. Link joints are the largest joints Ballistic Fabrication makes. Link arms are double 1/4 wall tubing.

chigger

If you are just trying to get a better ride, take out a bunch of the leafs in the suspension and add an airbag between the axle and the frame. Leave just enough leafs so that the springs can support the weight of the truck as it sits. You definitely want to have a bump stop and consider the bump stop height for when the airbags deflate from sitting. Airbags sometimes have bump stops built in. You must add a swaybar for sure. Also, you can add a mechanical airbag valve on each side to automatically control the pressure. Just make sure that the airbag valve is not set up too sensitive that it fights your leaf spring. I’m using 10” top plate, but the bag itself expands to about 12” inflated. You won’t need a bag quite that large in diameter since you will have leaf springs to share the load. Keep in mind, a 5 ton is much heavier than a Deuce so calculate the pressure you will need to support the load and make sure you don’t go over the rated pressure limit of the bag. If you find that the truck is too sloppy going down the road, you will need to get stiffer shocks.

Here is a link to the place I found my goodyear airbags. They have a huge selection. http://www.stengelbros.net/Goodyear-8-9-10-and-11-Diameter-Rolling-Lobe-Air-Springs_c_857.html

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Back in the late 70's when one of my chicken hauling buddies had a rough riding cab over Peterbuilt he put two heavy coil springs between the axle and the frame. he claimed it made the truck ride a lot smoother......but you know how them truck drivers lie.

Hoefler

Maybe simply remove a few leafs out of the existing front leafs-add a bag directly over the center of the axel. Fine tune it by add-removing leafs and adjusting air pressure.
Pete

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe simply remove a few leafs out of the existing front leafs-add a bag directly over the center of the axel. Fine tune it by add-removing leafs and adjusting air pressure.
Pete
The more I've been reading things, I think this would be the easiest and most cost effective. I'm going to try to find a set of bags with internal bump stops and just replace those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks