• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Aux Lighting Connection

pbrstreetgang

Think Lone Wolf McQuade

I want to install 1, possibly 2 sets of Aux. Driving / Fog lights on the brush guard on the front of my 1009.

Where is the best place to run the wires for power. I didn't know if I would have to go back through the firewall into the fuse panel or if I could just keep everything under the hood.

Obviously I would have to have the power switch tied to the headlight switch in the truck.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obviously I would have to have the power switch tied to the headlight switch in the truck.
Uh, unless you are going to use the truck offroad only, I would NOT hook it up to the headlight switch. Your local 'lets lockem up gang' would have issues in having all that light coming from the front of your vehicle. Remember you have to dim your lights for approaching vehicles...

I do not think it could be done without burning your present wiring or upgrading it. Then you would be limited by the switch capacity itself.

You would be better off taking power off of your fuse block or going with 24v lights and get your power from both batts.

But just my 2cents

pbrstreetgang

As far as I know, law enforcement doesn't have any problems with auxillary running lights, my wife's Honda van came with them.

I will probably run a separate switch to be mounted on the dash somewhere. I want 2 sets.

One to increase my normal driving lights at night, and one off-road or fog set. If I have to go to 24V lights to keep everthing under the hood short of the power switch, that is fine.

I have read on here that the CUCV electrical system will take most anything that you can throw at it.

I want to add some aux. lighting to the front, some interior lighting that will most likely be led based and have a very low power draw, and a modest stereo system. I will probably add some 12v power adapters for my kid's DVD player.

1stDeuce

Really the only 24v on your truck is the starter, and sort-of the glow plug system. There is one 24v circuit that runs into and out of the truck for the starter system, and I think that crazy round connector under that dash probably has a few 24v wires in it. Mostly, the electrical system is the same as a civy truck of that era, which was not really much into extra electrical load inside the cab...

That said, I'd keep the power under the hood, with relays to activate the lights. Pull 12v directly from batt #1, immediately fused, to relay blocks on the driver's fender. To actuate the relays, use feeds from the parking lamps and high beams, which are in the harness right there by the fender. Fore each relay, run the ground wire inside, to a switch, and ground the other terminal of the switch conveniently inside. This way, there are no high current wires inside, and minimal wiring to get it done. Your fog lights will work anytime your parking lights are on, and your driving lights will work only when your high beams are on, so if you dim your lights for an approching car, they turn off, then back on when you go back to high beams.

(Soapbox alert!!)
And finally PLEASE adjust your lights. ALL of your lights. I hate nothing more than some fool with one headlight pointed at my face, and the other off in the ditch... Same goes to fog lights... If they're shining in my face, they're doing you NO good. They should be mounted low, and aimed low to the road, to light UNDER the fog, not up into the trees... In heavy fog, rain, or snow, this reduces the amount of light that ends up reflecting back in the driver's field of vision. (This is why I tie them with parking lights... You want tail lights when using fogs, but ususlly not headlights...
(End Soapbox rant...)
C

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks