• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axel hops and slides when on the road any idea why and how to fix it

the front axel on my 69 deuce hops and slides when on the road any idea why and how to fix it or a diagram of how the 4x4 works it has a live front axel is there any way to disingage it or how how can i fix the problem the drive shaft is out at this point but the front tires are still locked and it's really hard to turn right now and any help would be great aua

treeguy

There is a manual locking hub kit for these axles but its $. That should reduce wear on the front drive train and help steering a little but it sounds like you have a more serious problem. Sorry I can't help any more than that. I'm curious to see what others here have to suggest.

KsM715

:ditto: If you removed the front driveshaft then the problem is in the front axle. Hard to turn makes me think you got a bad steering joint on oneside or the other.

when we bought the truck at a goverment auction about 13 yrs. ago it drove fine all the way home then we got ready to take it some where else and it started hoping and slideing so the truck has ben parked till about 3 weeks ago when i decided to get it out and try to fix the problem the thuck onlw has 900 and a few odd hours and 1500 and a few odd miles i know the winch on the truck makes them a little harder to stear but i can not find any thing on the 4x4 problem but it wea probley doing this before we got the truck because the back ties look new and the front are smoothaua

KsM715

Lift the front axle off the ground, both wheels, have a helper (or 2) help you spin the axle spin it with the wheels straight and then turn them both directions while spinning the wheels. see if it binds all the time or just when its turned one way or the other. If its just when its turned then I would start by tearing into the knuckles.

Go here to get the manuals and download them to your computer. I believe you need the -20 TM's

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jack up one side, spin the wheel, listen for noise, if it spins the pinon, the axle is not a locked front axle, if not jack up both sides, spin the wheel, dead man the pinon, can you still spin the wheel. if the tires are scrubbed way down, I think you have a broke SPIDER GEAR,, or shaft, no matter what , you HAVE to PULL the 3rd member,

If it is a busted 3rd member, it will be hard to steer, because the inner wheel cant go slower and the outer wheel cant go faster, this is the hop and jump you feel, one of the tires slipping, and why the tires are BALD

I have seen this before, only in rears, broke spider gear locks the rear as though it is a welded, locked rear, the whole back end of the truck bounced every time it took a cornerr

Pull the drain plug, drain the oil though a white rag, like a dish towel, see what shows up, then stick a magnet in to see what you can find

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the hub(splined drive) caps off and see it you still have issues.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
replace the front axle assy and the transfer case with an air shift to bring it into at least the 20th century. you might want to consider what engine is in this truck, if it is not marked TD on the block, it might just not be worth the time & money to do anything with it.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks