• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axle boot HELP!!!!

seabeeut

OK I give I read the TM and the threads I found here is there any trick to getting the boot and clamp on the knuckle?? short of three guys and six hands I dont see it the TM says one man job what I am I missingaua

davey8943

Seabeeut,

I always have to have "soldier B" (better known as my gorgeous wife... ;) ) help out. She usually responds with "Didn't we JUST do that a month ago?!?!?"

One person can hold the 3 and 8 o'clock positions, while the other holds 12 o'clock and tightens the clamp.

It really is a PITA, but you'll get there!

Dave

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to do it by yourself you might try putting a piece of string to hold the two ends close together or a pair vice grip pliers. The needle nose type might work.

Or do what CARNAC does, has Gimpy and Doghead do it.

:)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, and be sure to have a third person there to get you a cold beer and hand you clean papertowels!

thanks SW

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have always found it to be pretty easy. just be sure to clean ALL the grease, oil and stuff off first. really clean and dry makes it really easy.
tom

seabeeut

Spring clamps did it for me.
had no spring clamps but three well placed vice grips gave me the extra I needed.
the thrid is not seen but is a smaller needle nose to pull the rubber in the back.
before I do the other side in the spring I will replace the philps head with stainless steel allen head PITA to get everything in alignment then try to push the screw driver and tourge at the same time.
That all said time for BEER thirtyfat lady sings

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What? You weren't drinking the whole time you were doing it? See above post from DH. He forgot, I had to go get brake clean as well.

You even did it the easy way, took the wheel off.........

;-)

Seth_O

I didn't think to use vice grips (aua) but instead cleaned the groove REALLY well with brake cleaner, put the boot on and tightened a wee bit at a time. Checking VERY frequently all the around and sliding it back into position when it had started to come out. It took time but worked just fine. I also applied a small amount of RTV to the groove and let it dry to just tacky before putting the boot on.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boot and groove need to be super clean, as others have mentioned. Then it's no big deal.

seabeeut

The boot and groove need to be super clean, as others have mentioned. Then it's no big deal.
I cleaned that grove till it was virgin thinking it might help if the rubber is warm not in the thirtys , still think it's PITA

rlwm211

The trick for me was to do the cleaning as is mentioned here and then to have the clamp just loose enough so the boot has to compress slightly as you slide the clamp on. I am saying that the clamp should have to be puished on slightly with tension on the clamp as the boot is seated with the clamp.

By having the clamp barely loose enough to go on over the boot this will hold the clamp and boot in place until you tighten the clamp.

Be sure to point the clamp tension adjustment in the direction shown in the manual.

When I first did one, I messed around for an hour until I saw that this would work and was probably the only way to do it alone.

Once I saw how this did work I would not have any problem now in getting the boot on and the clamps tight without fighting the installation like I did the first time.

Hope this helps

RL

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks