• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle boot repair

Clay James

I'm curious about this too. I just put some on the trucks I'm doing. The new rubber ones only lasted a few months before becoming totally dry rotted. All of these new ones are from Chinaaua I would much rather pay more for quality US made ones like the trucks come with. The ones that came on my M109A3 aren't dry rotted at all and they're over a decade old I'm sure.

littlebob

Heavysteven, how long did the silicone boots last for you? Do you put a lot of miles on your truck?
I'm curious too, I replaced mine a couple of years ago with the non zipper, non silicone ones from OD Iron and they didn't last but a little over a year. I don't want
to do it every year and a half.

Flyingvan911

I haven't seen any silicone zipper boots. I wish they did. I just got a pair of silicone boots from Erik's. I will put them on soon. It is hard to find quality stuff these days.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the [nasty green] silicone boots on in November 2010 in the course of a complete brake and bearing job...1st venture into deuce work. Wasn't particularly difficult. Suggest clean everything really well and be patient; it's not eye surgery. Subsequently recovered a boat...Az to sw Oregon and back, then drove Tucson to New Orleans...~8K of machinery in the back, towing ~10K of boat an stuff. Looked at the boots yesterday; they appear to be intact...no cracks seen or felt. Observed tiny leakage at outer two of the lower bolts [see pic] on both front hubs.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Bsorcs, that's go to be the cleanest axle/wheel hub I have ever seen on a Deuce.. great job!.. I hope I get mine looking that good someday.. Now that I just picked up a Blast Cabinet..one part at a time..:beer:

Munk

Bsorcs, this is good to know. I didn't want to p[ost right away as soon as i heard about the silicone boots, but wanted to see how they were gonna hold up over some time. Thank you for the reply.

buddy_holly

I don't have the one-piece boots apparently? I wasn't familiar with these and at first I thought they were busted since there was grease coming out where it's split but that's normal? Or am I just wishfully thinking?

Attachments

buddy_holly

So, dumb question, it's not supposed to be split like that? I'm in AZ so this thing won't be going through a swamp or anything like that anytime soon but I'd like to get ahead of the repair curve while she's still in rather good shape and I have time to learn before stuff starts going wrong with it.

DieselBob

So, dumb question, it's not supposed to be split like that? I'm in AZ so this thing won't be going through a swamp or anything like that anytime soon but I'd like to get ahead of the repair curve while she's still in rather good shape and I have time to learn before stuff starts going wrong with it.
Correct, it should not have that opening. They should be totally sealed. I would repair as soon as possible. Not only does that boot keep out water but also dirt, sand and any other debris kicked up going down the road.

DeucesWild11

Yeah looks like its leaking out the zipper. check it out and see how bad it is. You probably have to replace either way but the zippers do leak to a point. When you do replace there is some sort of silicone or something similar that you smear on the inside of the zipper to keep it from leaking. That being, you zip it up seal it and then flip it over and clamp down.. at least that is how I understand it. I haven't done mine yet but I don't drive mine regularly.