• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle boot repair

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
buddy_holly,

Glad to see that you are back in the States. The silicones were not difficult. Just clean everything really well and move slowly.

Formerly in TUS
bs

Munk

Bsorcs, how have they silicone boots been for you? I wanted to have you get some mileage on them then ask and see how they were.

welldigger

Hit and miss. They don't dry rot but they rip much easier if snagged by something. If you most drive on the road they will probably work pretty well.

welldigger

Welldigger, sounds good. Im just kinda tired of putting the rubber style on every year.
I hear you man. I have had my silicone ones on for a little over a year and they look good as new. But, I haven't off roaded the truck since I put them on.

ATPTac

I'm definitely going to put silicone boots on mine. I've been researching a decent amount, and from everything I've seen so far they seem to hold up much better than the rubber ones do. The previous owner of our truck put rubber boots on around a year ago and they're both torn up pretty badly. Annual boot replacement seems to be the trend with rubber boots.

jwaller

Annual boots weren't always the norm. This problem seems to have started when all the rubber boots began to be made in China with crappy rubber.

ATPTac

Annual boots weren't always the norm. This problem seems to have started when all the rubber boots began to be made in China with crappy rubber.
Good point. I've seen NOS rubber boots, but I don't like the idea of using rubber components that are potentially 30+ years old. Same reason I don't want any NOS brake components.

Munk

Right on. The rubber ones just crack, let the grease out and it does get old. The only off roading I do with this truck is going through the snow and with the guards on there I would thing I am pretty safe with the silicone boots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks