• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle boot repair

bigelk50

Here are some pics of my front boots. I just learned that they zip together. Ours however have red RVT silicone on them. You can here them push out air when you touch them, meaning they leak.. My question is, are they easy to replace? Thanks

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are always going to "leak" it is a zipper and not possible to totally seal up. If you want to eliminate leaks go with the 1 piece style boot (no zipper), more work to put on but they work great. The zipper ones are not too bad to replace, I suggest having an extra set of hands to help with the clamps. I have the 1 piece type on my mud truck and can submerge it in water and mud and not get anything leaking inside.

Barrman

The zipper ones are somewhat easy to replace.

You just got your truck, right? Do you have a place it can sit for a week or so? Here is what I would suggest. You have no clue what condition the front bearings, seals, u-joints, drive shaft bushings, inner seals, brake wheel cylinders, brake shoes, brake hoses and brake lines are in. Down load all 3 manuals for the M35 from the resource link at the top of the page, read them, study them, buy the hub nut socket from OTC and then put the truck someplace it can stay for a few days.

Pick a side, passenger is easier because you only have the tie rod to deal with, and start pulling the front brakes, hub and knuckle off. Pull everything apart, clean everything up and see what all is wrong. Leave the other side completely together so you can use it as a pattern in case you get stuck and can't figure out how something goes. If you find nothing wrong, great. Order 2 boots from OD Iron, wait a few days for shipping and put it all back together. Then repeat on the other side. Anything you find wrong, order 2 so you can replace it on the other side as well.

If you buy zippered boots, you won't get to inspect as much stuff, learn about your truck or have as long lasting of a boot in the long run.

bigelk50

Thanks Barrman, I just finished downloading all the tms. I have a huge farm with plenty of places to work on them and lots of room for more of them hehe. I think I am going to put in the solid boots. Sounds like a better deal all around.

jasonjc

:ditto:

That what I would and have done. As long as it is apart replace the seals and rebuild the wheel cyc. it will pay for itself in the long run trust me. OD has a complete kit with all the stuff you need.

Barrman

Yes on at least pulling the wheel cylinder apart, cleaning it up and putting it back together. I wrote the above without trying to sound like a commercial for Mike. However, he does have some great kits that take care of all the parts you can replace in the front.

JasonS

I agree that it is great to disassemble your front axle for service and use the one-piece boot at that time. However, with boots lasting ~ 1 year, it doesn't seem practical to do annually. I have had the rubber and vinyl boots fail in a one year period.

bigelk50

wow I hope they last a little longer than that. No worries if ya did sound like a commercial Barrman because he does have great parts. I found the whole kit for something like $150.

Munk

I am running into the failing boots myself. I have had my deuce for just short of 2 years and am looking to do my 3rd set of boots. Kinda getting sick of doing them. I do put miles on the truck as it is my daily driver. I usually get lots of cracking in a couple months then the boots fail. Does anyone have suggestions?

Pinz25086

I am doing this job and decided to spend a few more $ and go with the silicone boots. They should hold up better than the natural rubber. We will see over time.

Wayne

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished mine with silicone this week. It was a ton of work but well worth it. If you can tackle that, you should have confidence to buy a GSA deuce and take it on a 1300 mile trip. :lol:

Munk

Are these silicone boots the 1 piece or zipper style? Where are you finding them? I am willing to give them a try.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman Pick a side said:
The tie rods don't have to come off.
I like one peice but if you use zipper take your time and put the sealer on the inside real well and work it into the zipper with your finger. Now go find something else to do for a couple of hours and let that sealer tac up real good before you go pulling on it. Now you can come back and tug pull and twist then put more sealer on from the out side when it is installed.

Barrman

You are correct. The tie rods can stay on when just getting to the boots. However, for somebody doing this the first time and needing to probably walk the knuckle somewhere to clean all the dried up old grease out. It is a lot easier to remove the tie rod when the knuckle is holding itself on instead of resting on your leg as you whack away with a hammer.

I was writting that 2-1/2 years ago to be read by a new guy who had never had his truck apart.

BimmerPower

Banned
Where can I get info on installed the zippered style boots? I have only found a good write up for the one piece silicone style unfortunately. Any help is appreciated :deadhorse: