• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle eating seals

Seth_O

Then I cleaned, checked and re-packed the wheel bearing that sits on the spindle. About that time the fat lady sings came out to the garage and made a few not family-friendly comments about what my hands made it look like I had been doing (I was packing a bearing - she had just finished watching a particular Dirty Jobs episode.......) and I called it a night. Hoping to get the knuckle re-assembled tonight but have some family committments so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

Clay James

Did the new spindle bushing fit the axle shaft? On the two trucks I did I had to take the spindles and axles to a local 4x4 place to get them turned on the lathe to fit because the spindle bushings were just slightly oversize for a custom fit.

Seth_O

Hmmmm, good question. Like an idiot I didn't check the bushing for fit on the axle, but it was a perfect light force-fit inside the spindle. I definitely had some wear on my old bushing though.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What lubricates that bushing? Does grease get in there somehow from the knuckle or is it a one time grease during assembly?

Last edited:

Seth_O

I am going to smear some axle grease on mine, but I don't believe it requires any regular lubrication. Think of it like the pilot bushing for the tranny, also made of bronze and it doesn't require any regular oil or grease.

Seth_O

I got the knuckle all buttoned up today, and am left with only one nagging doubt - hopefully someone can put it to rest for me.

When I put the spindle back on it didn't seat fully by hand, I had to draw it up snug with the bolts. I know it has a metal lip that has to slide inside the knuckle, but not sure if it's normal for that to be such a tight fit? I can't remember from having done the other side a year or more ago if it was that tight. I figured once I replaced the thrust washer and seal retainer they would slip together?

Anyone know off the top of their head if that's how it's supposed to be?

Clay James

Does the axle shaft turn freely? That sounds like what my 109 did when I took apart the knuckles and put them back together.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the axle shaft turn freely?....
Same Q. here!?
The spindle may fit a bit tight, no problem - BUT... once seated and tightened, the axle shaft should be able to turn by hand, grabbed by the splines - real smoth, no binding, at any angle of the steering knuckle!

G.

Seth_O

Axle turns smoothly and freely. I adjusted the bearing pre-load per the TM with no troubles at all. It definitely did not feel like the axle was binding on the spindle, just required quite a bit of force to seat the spindle all the way. Thinking of it that way makes me feel quite a bit better. Tks guys.

Last edited:

MikeON

I just finished installing new oil seals and zipperless silicone knuckle boots. When inserting the axles, it was a real struggle to get them to go in the last few inches. I figure the bevel on the differential end of the axle is not big enough to guide it into the spline without raising that end of the axle somehow, which means pushing down on the outer end of the axle. This makes the seal the fulcrum, possibly putting enough down pressure to tear it. I tried real hard with one hand to hold the axle centered in the seal, while pushing down on the outer end of the axle with the other hand. Hopefully, I will have no leaks, but I'm wondering if this might be another cause of these leakage problems.

Also, is there some other trick to putting these axles back in place?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks