• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axle engagement quetions

Ronbo

Ok guys, A few questions .. 1 how can I tell if the front axle is engaging? 2 can the front axle be engage while moving?? If the air lever was engaged while moving what can it hurt if it did? should I be able to hear something engage under the truck when the air lever / switch is engaged? Thanks I did read about one person who puts his fron bumper against an oak tree and spins the tires , BUT I have a wench and can exactually get it centered ( dont want to damage anything.. Thanks again ...Me

Ronbo

HUH would think it would be easier and faster to just ask a question in the sight and learn that way then to break out a book and spend time searching ( especially for a working man when time is critical ).. After all if everyone knew everything then all the sight would be good for is selling parts.. After all there probably others that might want some answers to a question OR have a better opinion threw trial and error... :idea:

Stan Leschert

1) Engage the front diff. Crank the streeing wheel hard left or right. Apply forward power. Do you feel any binding or hopping? You are locked in!

2) RTFM... Read The Freaking Manual! (Please)

3) Yes, you can engage at lower speed, on the move.

4) Rather than putting a WRENCH on the turning bit, mark it with surveyors tape. Tie it to a brach, rock... and wait for results.
If you have a spotter, or in this case wench, just mark your front tire with chalk, and ask for a report on actions.

Last edited:

Parker2

You should feel the tires binding when you make a turn. Or you could put something in front of a tire that is large enough for the truck to want to push without 6x6 engaged. If the front is engaged it will drive over it instead of trying to push it.

Stan Leschert

Thanks, I wasn't trying to be snarky, and Yes there are many simple ways to check things. I have found that the manuals give me the base info that I need, and they have saved me from a few (but not all), costly repairs. I can be almost as stubborn as a cranky truck!

Jones

I think everybody's point is that there's a lot of good keep-you-out-of-trouble info in the manual(s) and it's smart to know where to look if no one's around to ask.

Shifting on the fly: Anytime the rear axles are moving and the front axle's not, there's gonna be a shock to the drivetrain when you engage the front axle.
Can it be done-- yes. Is it a good practice to get into-- no.

Garandfan

RTFM! The deuce is man time including the MANuals! Use the search function! Can cross reference symptoms and diagnosis without finding out the hard way. Like Brake light switch, or head gaskets, or air pack. I work swing shift, take care of the kid in the morning, no excuses, make time! ENJOY! :grd:

Bobbed4x4

Banned
Crap, looks like I did it all wrong when I was looking to see if the front axel was engaging. I pointed the truck towards a steep pile of dirt and saw how far up I could make it . Be sure to slow down as you uproach the top though, I don't think deuces were made for getting air lol

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shift the front axle in and out while moving. The front driveshaft being driven by the tire and front diif, so it is turning the same speed as the rear driveshaft. Unless you are turning a sharp corner, or spinning the rear tires. There is no shock then, since there is no relative motion between the front and rear.