• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle Engagement

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I agree but you would want to make sure your in the limit of speed for gear selection correct.
You would not want to be going over that speed for selected gear or I am making this too complicated lol.

Flyingvan911

In low range you ahold be able to tell by the screaming engine, and tach, that you're going too fast. Key glance at your gauges as usual and you'll be fine.

Dipstick

Well, I did it. I was idling along in 1st gear, high range at a few miles an hour going down a slight hill. With my foot off the clutch and throttle, I threw the air shift selector to engage the front axle. It went right in quite smoothly and without a sound. I could feel some tugging at the front as I went slowly around a tight right hand turn. Almost as if you could feel the universal/steering joints doing their work. I wonder what it will drive like when I drive it in AWD at higher speeds? Thanks again everyone for your help.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=Dipstick; I wonder what it will drive like when I drive it in AWD at higher speeds?

Probely going straight you won't even know. Now in a dry tight turn it should feel like you front end is going around the corner the rears still going straight forward and the frame work is feeling the strain. lol

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can say this, and with shame. I have pushed my lever into 6x6 while in a mud hole. The front end wasn't spinning, but the rears were. The sounds it made were not anything I wish to ever hear again!

I've not had any problems out of it and I've put plenty of miles since on it. But rest assured. I'll never "flip" it while in motion again.

Dipstick

Thanks Patracy. I may not do it again. I never was one to beat up on machinery. I know it's a Deuce, but I enjoy it too much to purposely damage it. I do hope to go four wheeling for the first time in my life next year though.

Dipstick

Dipstick; I wonder what it will drive like when I drive it in AWD at higher speeds? Probely going straight you won't even know. Now in a dry tight turn it should feel like you front end is going around the corner the rears still going straight forward and the frame work is feeling the strain. lol[/QUOTE said:
Not to mention bouncing around on N.J. roads with potholes and uneven patches everywhere. The back of my truck probably looks like it's break dancing to people following it.

steelandcanvas

The front end wasn't spinning, but the rears were...
Dirstick this is probably what contributed to Patracy's horrible noises. I would think as long as the front axle and the rears are turning at the same speed, shifting into 6x6 on the fly shouldn't be a problem. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel you are correct Jonathan I have engaged on the fly no problems but like you said all wheels same speed no load. Common sence.

TMNT

I feel you are correct Jonathan I have engaged on the fly no problems but like you said all wheels same speed no load. Common sence.
I know it's just an opinion, but I have also engaged the front axle while rolling. No load, no spinning, but rolling. No bad noises, no problems. Based on the design, there should be no problems so long as the fronts and rears are turning the same speed, but you gotta drive your own truck. If the rears were spinning, or if I were pulling a hill, I would stop before engaging the front axle, simply because you don't want those parts banging into each other under a load.

Last edited:

Dipstick

I have to agree with the idea of all axles turning at the same speed and not under load. TMNT......what's the fastest you've were going when you engaged the front axle?

TMNT

I have to agree with the idea of all axles turning at the same speed and not under load. TMNT......what's the fastest you've were going when you engaged the front axle?
I don't recall the speed, but it was as I approached the end of a paved road to transition onto a muddy, unpaved road. I was probably rolling about 15-20 MPH at that point. It engaged with no problem.

Incidentally, I sometimes disengage the front axle while in motion as well. If I'm on a tight trail, I may engage the front axle to cross a muddy section, or to climb a steep, slippery hill, and then need to make some really tight turns on dry, packed ground. After I get through whatever caused me to engage the front axle, and when the truck is rolling along not under stress, I simply move the lever to disengage the front end. I hear the air release and sometimes a click. I may shift the front axle in and out many times during the course of a 2-3 hour trail ride.

I've honestly never given it a second thought until this thread came up. It just made sense to me, given my experience with civilian 4x4's and heavy equipment. I just apply the same logic to engaging the front axle as I do for changing gears: Don't change gears until the truck is "relaxed." Don't engage the front axle unless the truck is relaxed. The truck is relaxed when it is neither accelerating nor decelerating; the engine isn't pulling or being pushed, and the engine RPM's simply matching the vehicle's constant a speed - no stress in the driveline.

Another thing to consider, if the traction conditions are bad enough that you feel the need to engage the front axle, why in the world would anyone be traveling at 40-50 MPH in 13,000 pound truck anyway? In other words, maybe it is possible to engage the front axle at 45 MPH (I'm not saying it is), but why would you ever NEED to do that?

Dipstick

TMNT....Great post! You obviously have tons more experience with Deuces than I have so your input is very valuable to me. I often drive my truck to work at night, because I work twelve hour midnight shifts in a boiler room. It's only six miles from my apartment, but both routes I can take are two lane semi-rural roads with lots of curves and numerous hills. One route through farm country has so many tight turns that I usually drive it in 4th gear at 25mph. I only have to back off the throttle to slow down around the turns and my truck will easily pull the hills in 4th. I wouldn't be going above 15-20mph in snow. I wanted to know if I went from dry pavement to snow covered pavement if I could engage the front on the fly. It's like that in N.J. in the winter. Some areas get plowed really well and others not so much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks