• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle front companion flange leak, M809-series

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished my second replacement of the oil seal on my M818's front axle's front companion flange. However, I am still getting a leak during longer trips when the axle warms up and gear oil flows easier. The leak originates behind the companion flange deflector, obviously from the seal. Gear oil then drips down the front of the axle housing.

I have replaced the the front bearing cover with seal and seal gasket as a new unit plus the cover gasket. I also replaced the wear sleeve on the companion flange. All of this was done in accordance with the -20 TM. I have replaced the axle breather caps with a vent line and have ruled out any blockage causing an over-pressurization issue.

Any help or idea why this leak perpetuates would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What part number for the seal are you using? There are a few that have different pressure ratings. Some are 6psi. Some are 13. Some are 18.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks