• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axle help

Lee Alessi

i cannot seem to find in 068996 an exploded view of the front axle knuckles. im getting some shimmy, and have been told to do several things

1) replace the bushings (i ordered 4)

2) balance the tires (i didnt think you could)

3) tighten some thing inside the knuckles, that will make the knucles hard to turn left and right by hand, and you tighten it by making some shims out of some hard shim stuff.

anyone

rdixiemiller

Let me look it up tonight. One of the manuals has a good exploded view. I'll copy it and send it to you.
Check your toe-in. Look for a loose tie rod end, or loose wheel bearings. Any play can cause shimmy. Tires can be balanced on these beasts, just like any other vehicle. Just takes a bigger balancer!

Lee Alessi

thanks.
i have new tie rod ends, new drag link, power steering, lockout hubs and have tightened retightened the bearings 3 times, and have set the tow in to factory specs. i may put more tow in on it.

Loose Deuce

Does yours shimmy at certin speeds or all the time? Mine shimmys when I hit a big bump, then it will stop. Let me know what you find out.

What is involved in changing those bushings?

rdixiemiller

Look in manual TM 9-2320-361-34. The PDF file # is 069918. Chapter 10, starting at page 36 covers steering knuckle repairs and has excellent drawings. I don't have a scanner, so I can't send it to you.
Sorry

Red Neck

Before you change the bushings, have you checked them for play? Jack up the axle and pry up on the tire (or use a tire iron into the rim and pick up and down) you want to rock the top of tire in and out. If it is tight, the bushing shouldn't be needed. If the tire rocks slightly, it might be the wheel bearing, have someone step on the brake and it will take bearing play out of the picture (unless you have changed to disc brakes). While you still have it jacked up, put a block against the tire and spin it looking for a defective (bulged) tire or bent rim.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also check the bushings in the steering box. I'm about to replace mine. If you rock the steering weel back and forth and watch the shaft where the pitman arm mounts you may see the shaft move up and down before it rotates. if soo the bronze bushing are wore out.

DEL03

Amongst the 15000 pages I have your blow up Iwill try to attach it in a pm but it may be to big good luck
del03

Loose Deuce

Looks like there is some kind of adjustment on the steering gear box, (inside facing tward engine), is that for taking slack out of the steering?

Pappa-G

Loose Deuce said:
Mine shimmys when I hit a big bump, then it will stop. Let me know what you find out.

I had a '49 Willy's that would do that. It was to much slop in the drag link. Have someone wiggle your steering wheel back and forth as much as possible with out getting the tires to move. Climb under the front end and look at all the steering joints. Any joint thats getting more input that its giving out is suspect. I believe the drag link is adjustable at the ends.
As far as tightening the wheel bearings torque too 50 lbft while spinning the tire in the direction of fwd travel then back the nut off one flat, put in the lock washer spin in the lock nut and torque to spec..
~ Pappa-G

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks