• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle not engaging?

KsM715

Partner, you are the one who said it was "locked in" in ALL gears. Read the first sentence of post 14. Just because you can read the TM doesn't mean you understand it.
He didnt say it was "Locked" in. He said it is 6x6 in all gears, not just first or reverse.

The t-case is never locked in 6x6 in any gear. It is 6x6 when the rears slip in any gear

You feel it in mud and sand because those two conditions are the perfect place where the rears are going to drive forward and the sand or mud is going to hold your front wheels till the rears slip.

Last edited:

searls84

He didnt say it was "Locked" in. He said it is 6x6 in all gears, not just first or reverse.

The t-case is never locked in 6x6 in any gear.
If it were in 6x6 in all gears that would infer that the transfercase is engaged or "locked in" and all 6 (or 10) tires are receiving power all the time. It is in 4x6 until the slip engages the sprag no matter what gear the truck is in. That's what I was getting at.

JasonS

If it were in 6x6 in all gears that would infer that the transfercase is engaged or "locked in" and all 6 (or 10) tires are receiving power all the time. It is in 4x6 until the slip engages the sprag no matter what gear the truck is in. That's what I was getting at.
The airshift and REB modified transfer case are "locked in". The sprag is not.

KsM715

Gotcha [thumbzup]

I think the confusion is coming from this quote
Not so, it is only in 6x6 in 1st and reverse and its locked in. The other gears, the rear tires have to slip 20% for the sprag to engage.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Searls84 and Jeff are in agreement, y'all are just using different terminology and getting mixed up. :-D

On every sprag deuce I've been in, the sprag didn't work right. I honestly don't know how good a working sprag is because I've never been in a deuce that worked (I have had 5-tons that the sprag worked). Sure, the sprag is automatic but how hard is it to flip the lever on the dash? I'd rather have a air shift where I choose when the 6X6 engages and not whenever the case wants to do it. You also have to be careful driving as not to damage the sprag (don't roll backwards while in a forward gear or vice versa).

You could probably pick up a good used air-shift case for less money than you can rebuild the sprag.

JasonS

On every sprag deuce I've been in, the sprag didn't work right. I honestly don't know how good a working sprag is because I've never been in a deuce that worked (I have had 5-tons that the sprag worked). .
I've taken apart three sprag transfer cases. In each one, the forward sprag was worn out but the reverse was fine. You COULD use two reverse sprag sections to make one good set. But, then you have to find and pay for another sprag transfer case. I agree that it is better to move to an air shift and that is what I did.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
TM9-1819B section 86

I would like to read section 86 in TM9-1819B which describes how the single sprag and dual sprag work.

I really would.
I have no answers to my search for TM9-1819B section 86.

Did I just completly miss it as it it right here on SS?
I have been lost in
http://archive.org/stream/PAM310-4/PAM 310-4_djvu.txt

I did find this interesting thru google and back to SS
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?3299-Air-shift-or-REB-kit&

Please someone send a link or an address or a place to go to read section 86 in TM9-1819Bt.

Last edited:
When reading the TM as a PDF press Ctrl+f to bring up the search box and type in "sprag" or whatever else you are trying to research. It will list every time your search word is used

Edit: Nevermind I just realized you couldn't find the actual TM and not sec 86

Last edited:

JasonS

I would like to read section 86 in TM9-1819B which describes how the single sprag and dual sprag work.

I really would.
I have no answers to my search for TM9-1819B section 86.

Did I just completly miss it as it it right here on SS?
I have been lost in
http://archive.org/stream/PAM310-4/PAM%20310-4_djvu.txt

I did find this interesting thru google and back to SS
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?3299-Air-shift-or-REB-kit&

Please someone send a link or an address or a place to go to read section 86 in TM9-1819Bt.
Sorry, I have a hard copy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks