• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle repairs

dinosaur

I am in the process of changing the u-joints in the front axles (since they are the original ones) and in the process of pressing out the old ones, the "cup" part the holds the bearing cup bent :-(. They were so rusted in that while pushing down to get the bottom cup out, it bent the "cup".
Is there a way to straighten, or should I be looking for replacements?
Whenever I press these out, I use a large socket w/an opening for the cup to go into and the upper is a rod a little smaller that the cup.
The picture is of the worst one, as the other one is bend, but not as bad.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's kinda hard to tell how bent it is, but it looks ruined to me. If the two bores are not in perfect alignment, getting the new joint pressed in will be impossible. You might be able to straighten the bore by removing the cross, and then tapping the cup back in the bore, and then inserting the end of a punch in the cup, and prying on the punch to get things lined back up. On the other side, use a cutting torch to cut the cross out before you start pressing, it seems to make things easier to just press one cup at a time. Also soak with penetrating lube. You are in luck as far as parts however, Saturn Surplus has all the shafts in stock. Good luck.

ODdave

Dont waste your time with them. The joint isnt gonna last. As mentioned before try to sorce some new ones. Bob H has 880 axles, you may want to contact him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks