• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle seals and boots stepXstep

Djstorm100

Hey guys I know this thread is old but can someone point me in the direction of which TM states where RTV needs to be applied at? I've gone through just about all of them and no luck. I'm looking for where in the manual it states that RTV is suppose to go on the spindle seal and then the seal installed on the spindle. Only other RTV place I've found is the hub caps where the cork gasket goes, but a thin flim of RTV will work. Speaking of cork I did not see any mention of applying cork gasket in the key way of the FRONT axle just the rear I found it, is this correct?.

Ford Mechanic

The front axle doesn't get a cork seal or rtv in the keyway cause there is no gear oil present out at the knuckle. There is a axle shaft seal at the end of the tube, you see it after removing the knuckle and axle shaft.
There is also no outer seal for the bearings for the same reason.

Djstorm100

The front axle doesn't get a cork seal or rtv in the keyway cause there is no gear oil present out at the knuckle. There is a axle shaft seal at the end of the tube, you see it after removing the knuckle and axle shaft.
There is also no outer seal for the bearings for the same reason.

Thanks! I saw where one guy put RTV on the axle seal when installing it in to the retainer and the place sme on the retainer before putting it back on the axle (seal closes to the diff). Then only other place is to put RTV on the retainer that bolts to the backing plate/spindle.

Read the steering axles have 2 extra seals vs the rear? Rears have axle seals and then the hub cap seal (cork type gaskets, 8 small bolts)

ke5eua

Thanks! I saw where one guy put RTV on the axle seal when installing it in to the retainer and the place sme on the retainer before putting it back on the axle (seal closes to the diff). Then only other place is to put RTV on the retainer that bolts to the backing plate/spindle.

Read the steering axles have 2 extra seals vs the rear? Rears have axle seals and then the hub cap seal (cork type gaskets, 8 small bolts)
Fronts have the extra seals because of the half shaft.

Djstorm100

Fronts have the extra seals because of the half shaft.

Front axle would be. Axle housing---axle seal--axle---Boot (not sure if this is counted as one of the extra seals)---knuckle---spindle to inner bearing seal.

Compare to the rear

Rear axle housing ---axle --- inner seal--- hub---outter seal.
There rear inner seal is design to keep the grease in and axle/diff fluid in the axle housing. Front seal is to keep dirt/everything else out of the bearing/grease?

I just had a coming to Jesus moment while typing out my reply.

Looking at these two kits (front comes with 2 pinion seal). I see where I went wrong. It's 2 (1 for left and 1 for right) extra seals for both sides..I was thinking that each side had 2 extra seals (total of 4) but it is only 1 extra seal.

http://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/co...et-and-seal-kit-w-gold-zipper-boots-for-m35a2

http://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/collections/m35a2-parts/products/rear-axle-hub-seal-kit-for-m35a2

Side note: You can use RTV on the retainer plate that bolts to the backing plate/spinde instead of these? http://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/co...et-set-of-six-for-2-5-ton-m35a2-m35a3-7521787

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Thanks to all for their input to this thread. My Deuce just flipped over to 10K miles & while inspecting the running gear, noticed that gear oil is starting to leak out of the right front axle onto the tire. Now I have a pictorial as to how to, what is needed & folks experiance on their repairs. Its my turn to pull the front axels apart even though the original zippered boots are intact!

Last edited:

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have taken the front axle apart to do complete service and boot replacement and repair when i put it all back together I am getting a binding from the U joints and the spindle can some one please verify the order in which it gets assembled on to the 12 studs on the steering knuckle. The way i have it now is as follows
Seal retainer and Oil Seal ( fully seated into axle housing)
axle with U joint (thick washer on inboard shaft of u joint thin washer on outboard u joint shaft)
spindle
brake assembly
round washer with all the stud holes in it
lock washers
nuts

I get about a third of a turn before the u joint comes into contact with the back of the spindle plate this is on both sides. It is like i don't have enough clearance in the cavity that the u joint lives. I dont think that it grew while it was out but i am beginning to consider that as a possibility. I have checked to make sure the seal retainer is fully seated and that the axle is seated as well.

Flyingvan911

Did you remember the little metal disc that goes in the top spindle? That could cause the hub to hang low. I don't know how much clearance there is between parts when everything is put together.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull out your slide hammer now, or drive the inner seal retainers out with a 6' pipe or rod from the other side. My slide hammer came with a couple of attachments including the 2 jaw puller. The puller jaws sucked majorly but the mount was wide enough to get behind the retained but now too big to where it wouldn't fit in the axle tube so I just used that! Had to put the mount inside the axle first, then screw the slide hammer into it. After watching the harbor freight slide hammer almost come apart from cheap metal and acting like a gorilla banging at these things they finally came out. Sweet!
I tried to follow this author's great article because it was more detailed and better for the way I seem to learn than the -20 Unit Maintenance TM. However I think I have messed up (once again) and damaged what the inner axle seal seats into (this article's author refers to it as the "retainer").

What the author used: (as seen on page 3, post #21):
img_0873_139.jpgimg_0872_904.jpg

I guess the end I used with my rented slide hammer was larger than the author's. This is what my retainer now looks like: :doh:
2015-02-28 19.02.11.jpg2015-02-28 19.34.39.jpg2015-02-28 19.34.03.jpg

Two questions:
  1. Is my inner-axle seal retainer reusable? (I doubt it...)
  2. Is this inner-axle seal retainer called the "thrust washer"? I found another thread that called this the "thrust washer" - but it doesn't quite look the same as the TM, item #13:
unit_maintenance_tm_thrust_washer.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I think if you clean it up either with a file or a burr bit you'll be fine. Put a light coating of Grey or black silicone on the outer flange to be sure.

welldigger

I tried to follow this author's great article because it was more detailed and better for the way I seem to learn than the -20 Unit Maintenance TM. However I think I have messed up (once again) and damaged what the inner axle seal seats into (this article's author refers to it as the "retainer").

What the author used: (as seen on page 3, post #21):
View attachment 545125View attachment 545124

I guess the end I used with my rented slide hammer was larger than the author's. This is what my retainer now looks like: :doh:
View attachment 545126View attachment 545128View attachment 545127

Two questions:
  2. Is this inner-axle seal retainer called the "thrust washer"? I found another thread that called this the "thrust washer" - but it doesn't quite look the same as the TM, item #13:
View attachment 545131
Hit those burrs with a file like ford mechanic said. As long as the seal seats good in the retainer it should be ok. Or if you have a few pennies (ok more than a few) I can hook you up with upgraded inner seals complete with new retainers.

rustystud

Hit those burrs with a file like ford mechanic said. As long as the seal seats good in the retainer it should be ok. Or if you have a few pennies (ok more than a few) I can hook you up with upgraded inner seals complete with new retainers.
I would go with welldigger's seals if you can swing it. They are great quality items and will far outlast the factory ones.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 545126View attachment 545128View attachment 545127

Two questions:
View attachment 545131
For my own edification, still looking for anyone's input/answer as to question #2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks