• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle seals and boots stepXstep

JCKnife

mine is leaking again..... this will be number 2 i have put in.... i guess i got a bad seal last time its the same one
Hmm, are you planning on re-doing yours soon? I would love to come and help and learn on yours before doing my own!

jasonjc

mine is leaking again..... this will be number 2 i have put in.... i guess i got a bad seal last time its the same one
Are you talking about the inner axles seal? Did you use sealant on the retainer when you put it back in? Are the vents clean and working?

aaron379

yes the inner i didnt know u were supposed to put any on it... ur taking about the part that u have to beat ur brains out with a slide hammer? what do u use rtv?

JCKnife

Here's a question: assume I only have a couple hours a week to work on this. Is it OK to leave the deuce sitting on jack stands under the front axle housing for like a month? Not sure if that would be a good idea or not...

aaron379

Here's a question: assume I only have a couple hours a week to work on this. Is it OK to leave the deuce sitting on jack stands under the front axle housing for like a month? Not sure if that would be a good idea or not...
i used 6x6 and 4x4 blocks stacked each about a foot long stacked 2 down 2 on those and 2 on those and so on untill u get the right height if u use those make sure t stack them like # if u dont it could fall over but id leave mine on that for a month if i had to but it doesnt take that long id say u could hustle and get it done in 3 hours

JCKnife

Get done everything from pg 1 of this thread in 3 hours? My first time? I am not seeing that happening...I am not the fastest with these things, though.

I took my time and didn't want to hurt my back on the heavy stuff. Which is like everything! Slow and meticulous and knowing if I break something it going to cost my Alot of $$$. I am 21 years old and respect the truck and the weight of it sitting on blocks floating above me.

aaron379

the axel nut just needs to be snug do not over tighten it and do not keep it too loose... after driving it feel the axel cover and see if it is cool if it is burning hot the nut it to tight and you will burn out the bearings

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the axle nut just needs to be snug do not over tighten it and do not keep it too loose... after driving it feel the axle cover and see if it is cool if it is burning hot the nut it to tight and you will burn out the bearings
I went through a couple of bearings on my '76 Trans Am before I learned that a little loose is better then a little tight when securing the castle nut on the front spindle of that car.

The procedure was to tighten it to set the the bearings then back off before securing the nut. Assume there is a similar procedure for the Deuce?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks