• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle Seals

ralph3162

Ok so while trying to figure out my brake problem I decided to replace all the parts in the front hub since I have it apart wheel cylinder, brakes, bearings, races, and such. I disassembled the front hubs and found a lot of gear oil in the steering knuckle so I disassembled some more to get to the axle seals to replace them. I have the seals but now that I have it apart it looks like the seals have to be put in from inside the differential. I have read all the TM's which I have on disc but I can find nothing covering the axle seals. Has anyone done this job do I need to drop and disassemble the differential in order to replace the axle seals or am I just missing something. PLEASE HELP

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The seal goes in a seal housing. Do a search for axle step x step and it will walk you through the process.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to post HELP in your titles unless you are stuck on the side of the road or you life is in danger. We try to help everyone that post on this website. No need to beg for help.

glad you got your seal issue worked out.

ralph3162

Thank You I will remember that. I did all that work got all the way to the seal and thought it was going to be like normal seal just pop it out pop the new one in. But the seal housing looked like part of the differential. The truck was on the side of the road but it was close to home so no emergency really. I just wanted to finish and get it the last three block to the house. replacing the wheel cylinders and brake lines did not help the brake issue. I ended up unscrewing the J-pipe enough so it would constantly release air while brake applied and still maintain air pressure. This allowed the brakes to release after a count of 4 once the pedal was released. I disconnected the vent line from the air pack and put my finger over it. It would constantly build pressure. My air pack is the problem I did something wrong when I rebuilt it I guess. I have ordered a new one it will be here in a couple days also ordered another rebuild kit I will try to fix whatever I did wrong and will have a spare. I want to thank everyone for there help on both my problems. You guys are the greatest. The wealth of knowledge on this site is vast. thank you again to everyone. You made the job understandable which the TM's lack in some areas.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you followed the TM, it has a seal installed backward. That might be your issue. I have the new style air packs with the short can, so I cannot tell you which seal the TM has backward, but it is posted here somewhere!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks