• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle swap, questions

combat32

Starting my front axle swap, where is the best place for jackstand placement? This is a first time project for me any and all help suggestions would be appreciated. It's days like this when you could really use a wrecker! A pic of the donor axle and the victim.

Attachments

combat32

Well thats easy, when I bought this truck the passenger side axle shaft was missing, probably broke in the field, they took it out to drive it back in and never fixed it.A replacement axleshaft is like 350 used and who knows how much new.I have a complete good axle as a spare, viola!

combat32

That is a possible too, looking at both options, after looking everything over that may be the best route to go.Not quite sure I can do the axle swap in a safe enough manner, and I don't want to go out and buy 1,000 dollars worth of stuff to do it. Just looking for a few pointers from those who have done this on what is the safest way to jack up and secure the truck for an axle swap if I go that way. Wrecker would be the way to go for sure.

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
What does the gear oil in the currently installed front look like? If it looks decent I would just swap the shaft. The only reason I would do the whole swap is if shrapnel comes out when you drain the gear oil.

1978davidw

Pulling the axle shaft is pretty easy.. Jack it up take the wheel off, drive flange off, wheel bearing nuts and slide brake drum and hub off. Take bolts off backing plate and that loosens your backing plate and spindle. Pull those off slide your axle shaft in and reassemble. Only thing its going to cost you is about 30 bucks for a 8 sided 3 inch socket for your wheel bearings and what grease you use and a little brake fluid after you rebleed your brakes.

Heavysteven

I agree i would swap the axle shaft out first. Alot less work.

1. Jackup the side/remove wheel
2. Pull the flange off the wheel.
3. 3" socket remove outer nut
4. Bend locking washer and remove
5. Remove inner nut
6. Pull hub
7. Remove brake house, use starp rachect and move to the side
8. Pull axle / replace
9. repeat steps

One person could do this in 1 hour, 2 if you go slow. Took me 4 the first time, ut i repacked bearings and replaced the seals.

combat32

Agreed, swapping the axle shaft is the easier way to go, just hope the 3rd member is good to go with no problems there.Probably will go the this route instead of changing out the axles.

Drained the pumpkin BFR, no chunks, looks good

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks