• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle TM?

JRBAMATEX

Friday I used the deuce to actually do some work. Drove it about 80 miles round trip to acquire some flagstone for around the house. Why go 80 Miles for flagstone?..... Cause it was free and gave me a great excuse to work/drive the deuce. Also that much flagstone would have squashed my pickup.

When I was backing the truck into the drive to pick up the stone I heard a strange kind of pop or cracking noise from the front right portion of the truck. I have been looking at the right front tire and it has looked as though it was leaning out from the top ever so slightly. Now I see some oil sweating through the axle boot on that same side. Not bad but there is some. So I figure I need to jack it all up and check it out. Something tells me that I am going to be tearing into the axle and doing some servicing (Hubs/bearings/seals/wheel cylinders, etc.) That said would any of you be able to recommend the proper TM that would provide the clearest direction for digging into the front axle/hubs? Also any general guidance. Things to check first. Time and trouble saving advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks guys,

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM

JR, you’ll find enough under TM 9-2320-361-34, pages 254 to 260 and TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1, p. 401 to 441. Also check TM 9-2320-361-20, p. 592 to 599.
Not a bad idea to inspect everything. Do you have the air shift T-case or sprag type? That kind of banging noise in the front end could also come from a slipping sprag unit while backing up with front wheels at maximum angle.

Gerhard

JRBAMATEX

Thanks Gerhard, I was working at nearly maximum angle when I heard the noise but I have the air shift T-case. The noise was just a quick one when the front end (at nearly max angle) transitioned from the road in to the driveway which had and uphill angle from the road. I went out a few minutes ago and pushed side to side on the wheel on both sides. There was no play on the left wheel but there was juussst that little bit on the right hand side. I have seen this kind of front wheel play when front wheel bearings are going out on a rear wheel drive car. I have never torn into a powered front axle before but the little bit of play coupled with that noise and the leaky boot say to me that I need to open her up. It's kind of scary though. I mean this isn't just front wheel bearings on a Chevy. I really appreciate the TM info.

Thanks,

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
front end noise?

That little play alone cannot be the cause. You might also have to look for excessive wear of the front axle shaft joint. If your steering knuckle/boot started leaking oil it’s a good opportunity to replace the inner oil seal and refill with new grease.
(You didn’t back up in 6WD on dry ground, loaded…!!??)

JRBAMATEX

Negative. Didn't back up on dry ground loaded in 6X6. But based on your note I'll take it that this would be bad and never do it in the future. I was just looking at a blow up of the front axle in my Memphis Equipment Parts Manual. This is going to suck. The parts manual doesn't show if I would need to dig into the differential to release the axle in order to replace the Axle shaft seal that is in the housing. Assume there is a pin or something in the sleeve in the differential that keeps the axle attached to the diff?

Also, It looks like I can do this with my normal hand tools (Fairly extensive set that has worked on everything so far) or do I need to find some special tools for some part of the process?

I ordered the whole 2 1/2 ton manual from tpub.com today so I can have all the pictures and directions. On one hand I am looking forward to this and on the other hand...... :?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axle is floating, it comes right out. Really, very little difference between this and your Chevy, just bigger. The axle seal is in a retainer that sometimed gives folks a challenge but it's not that bad. Don't be afraid of it. In the approaching days, go over the TMs many times. WHat doesn't make sense certainly will once you open the thing up!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me your email addy and I'll send you a copy of my article on the front axle service, MVM issue #89, Feb 2002.
It may help some to get you oriented.
I found a potentially dangerous problem on my deuce, the 12 nuts holding the spindle to the steering knuckle housing (item 23 in the fig below) were of an inferior grade, some were actually loose and stripped (see text below)! Cabell (Cgarbee) tested one of the nuts for hardness and confirmed that it was of a very soft grade.
If they fail, the front wheel assembly will brake loose.

Gerhard's comment on not manouvering (backing up) in all wheel drive I presume, has to do with the fact that there is no differential between the axles and any slippage may put undue strain on the drive train.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inner oil seal

Not much left to explain, JR! Everything can be done without removing the diff. or even the axle housing.
Just in case, this is how it looks once the axle shaft is out and everything clean. Before replacing the seal you'll have to pull out the seal case or retainer which is pressed into the housing (second image). A common pull hammer with some kind of anchor or hook at the end will do. You could also adapt a puller for that job.
Don't forget some gasket maker prior to reassembly.

Good luck!

Attachments

JRBAMATEX

Thanks Gerhard, Ken and Bjorn,

This is all a very big help and is easing my anxiety. Uhhh some. At least I am now anxious to get into it. Just have to get the flag stone laid for the wife so I can get back to the truck. You know the old "points" system. This is great information and I'll take pic's and let you know how it's going.

Thanks guys,

JRBAMATEX

OK Guys. I have a mess of parts on the way from Memphis. Cone Bearings, Cups, Seals, Gaskets, Break Shoes, Wheel Cylinder rebuild kit. I even ordered the ball kit for the CV joint type axles. That's what they showed in the Memphis Equipment catalog. Yes you guessed it I had not read Bjorns article yet and my new TM CD has not arrived yet. Sooo... I didn't know that I will probably find U-Joints in the Axle housing. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid JR. Oh well. I just hope the U-Joints are in good shape when I get there. I think they will be. Maybe. I might even have a new one overnighted tomorrow just in case. Maybe a dozen Knuckle housing studs could come in handy.

Bjorns article gave me most of the torque ratings that I need. I do have one more question though. What should I use as an indicator of proper tightness of the hub and drum assembly against the spindle bearings. When I have done it on a car it has pretty much just been no wiggle and the rotor spins pretty good. Anything I ought to know about this portion of the exercise on the deuce?

red devils dude

JRBAMATEX
there's a FleetPride in dallas(thats near you right?) they can install the new U-Joints or you can just pick them
up and do it yourself they did the one's on my front driveshaft real nice job you should look in to it if you need them done.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hub/spindle bearing adjustment

JR, very simple exercise, no special indicator:
tighten the first nut, turn hub/drum assy. a few turns in either direction, eventually retighten (gently), turn again, to have bearings properly seated in their races. Back off 1st (inner) nut two flats, put lockwasher in place and tighten second nut very firmly (use 2’lever with correct socket, no hammer and chisel, please!). If you can feel any play go back to first nut, tighten one more flat and repeat procedure. Cero play but no preload works best for me. Don’t forget to finally bend one tab over outer nut to secure it.

Good luck with the joints!

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks