• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle traction aid

ODdave

So I am thinking for ease I am going to put a drivers side drop front axle in my 1028. I figured I would see what your guys thoughts are as far as the differential. Right now it has a trac loc.

Would you run,

Trac loc?

Power loc?

Detroit locker?

Its not a DD but I do plan on driving it ocasionaly, My goal is to take it up to the U.P. and go camping / wheeling.

WARWAG

Driversdie drop front axle? Not sure what you mean.

As far as a traction device I would go with either an OX Locker or and ARB Locker. Both selectable. The OX locker is manually engaged from inside the cab with the pull of a lever (attached to a cable). The ARB is a simple flip of a switch which actuates an aircompressor for about 1/2 a sec and wholla youve got a locked up front axle.

ODdave

Driversdie drop front axle? Not sure what you mean.

As far as a traction device I would go with either an OX Locker or and ARB Locker. Both selectable. The OX locker is manually engaged from inside the cab with the pull of a lever (attached to a cable). The ARB is a simple flip of a switch which actuates an aircompressor for about 1/2 a sec and wholla youve got a locked up front axle.

Drivers side drop = driveshaft on drivers side insted of the pass side.

I understand that the OX and ARB are great but I allready have the other three.

WARWAG

If your going to be driving her on the street much then a limited slip option would be your best option. Not sure if I would want a locker on the front during the winter time on icey roads. Mine has I believe a Trac Loc which if that is indeed what it is then it works great off and on the road. Mine is a stock M1028.

ODdave

Eh, no. My best option is Not to spend another $1000 on this truck for a diff. It is to use one of the 3 I listed which I allredy own, I was just curious to peoples opinions about those 3.

Buying a house right now and just dont want to be hemoraging money on this truck.

ODdave

I should re-word, I would prefer NOT to spend another 1K on this truck as it could be better spent on the house I am purchasing. I would like to use the best of the 3 diff's I allredy have.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
95 % of your driving on paved roads the hubs will be unlocked , on dirt roads it doesn't matter . I always liked my International travelalls with all-wheel drive on ice and snow , you just about can't get one stuck in the snow.

Matt1031

For ease? I don't understand why you would want to put a Ford Dana 60 (driver side drop) under an M1028 when the Chevy Dana 60 that's already under there fits perfectly.

Awful lot of work for not much gain. You want a high pinion that badly?

ODdave

For ease? I don't understand why you would want to put a Ford Dana 60 (driver side drop) under an M1028 when the Chevy Dana 60 that's already under there fits perfectly.

Awful lot of work for not much gain. You want a high pinion that badly?
Im not puting a high pinion in it,

Read my sig line. I want drivers drop so I can run 4in exhaust. It is a very tight fit with the pipe and drive shaft on the same side. And looks stupid with nothing on the drivers.