• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axle trouble

jb31

im new to the site and have a few questions about my first m135. i got the motor unstuck and runnen great and got the brakes unstuck and moven. i just finished installing a diamond v plow for snow. when i went to move it the front drive axle was kinda stuck in the mud and rear drive is inop due to the rear drive shaft is missing, but the front steer axle didnt seem to kick in at all. i read that it has a sprag in the t case witch allows for steering better and i read that the rear may have to slip a bit to get the front to kick in. is this true, will missing the rear shaft from pillow block to axle have a effect on how the front axle works. this truck has a 5speed stick that was in it when i got it last month i just am tryen to get it ready to plow snow but need more then one axle worken, any help would be great thanks

YkDave

with the rear shaft missing, it should easily engage the front axle.

If you havent already. download the manuals and go through the trans/tcase linkage adjustment procedures. Its possible that the linkage is too far out of adjustment, not allowing the sprag to engage.

Another possibility is that a shaft is broken. With the wheels blocked, throw the tcase into neutral and try to spin the front shaft. Because of the sprag, if something is broken in the axle, the sprag will allow the shaft to free spin in one direction (the other direction the sprag will grab and it will try to spin the rear axles)

jb31

thanks for the input, i had the front tire off last week and had to free the front brakes up, when it started to spin it would only go one way but just like u said when i went the other way it wouldnt go, guess i will pull it apart in the mornen, its rainen anyhow and its in the barn so why not, are the shafts common to find

YkDave

Its a different story if you were spinning it by the tire. IT would be normal for it to spin free in one direction if you were spinning the hub.

To do this test you need to have both tires on the ground. If the driveshaft can then spin freely in any direction, something is hooped.

jb31

as far as the linkage being out of adjustment since i have a different trans, 5speed stick, does that screw everything up

YkDave

more than likely... LOL

Their is a linkage on the tcase which controls the sprag. allowing it to engage in one direction or the other.

If the sprag linkage has been left in the 'forward' direction setting, you will only be able to drive the front wheels going forward. and same goes for if it was left in the 'reverse' position, the front axle would only drive in reverse

jb31

i was under it today and did see a shaft on the t case that had nothen attached to it, since i was tryen to back up when i was stuck due to a trailer in my way i wonder if thats my problem, u have been a world of help thanks, since ur in yellow knife i have to ask do u plow with a truck like this, and if u do how well does it work for u, im hopen this was a good idea, if anythink it looks cool as could be and my son loves worken on it with me

YkDave

yup, thats the one that is for the forward/reverse linkage (the other one is to engage/disengage the transfercase)

If all else fails and you need the front axles to drive in reverse, just crawl under there and try to pull that linkage out. that will engage the sprage for reverse operation and allow the front axle to drive in reverse. Just dont forget to push it back into the forward position afterwards (driving extensively with the sprag in the wrong position will cause excessive wear)

I dont personally plow with mine yet, i just got mine this summer. I do plan on throwing a V plow on it, and the guy that i got the trucks off of has a few of his own with plows and says they work great.

jb31

well it was either watch housewifes of dc or go out and work on the truck, at least its inside, u are exactly correct the other shaft is in so thats why i was pretty sure that the front was worken but only in forward, i will be putten in another shifter with linkage just for that. i just put this plow on and still have to install the pump and lines but i got it all for 1500 from a friend who has several m35 at his sawmill this 135 came from a local fire dept. its a diamond v plow and mounted right up like it was made for the truck. thanks again for the help i was a bit worried for a min or two lol. just need heat and brakes now, worken on the heat first lol

YkDave

Yea, shouldnt be too hard to rig something up for the sprag linkage. i would just run it to a lever in the cab (use one of the un-used slots under the drivers seat), then if you need the front axle to drive you can easy actuate the sprag with the lever under your seat.

Does your truck have a heater already?