• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Brake problem any help would be welcome

ralph3162

When I use brakes front brakes don't release all the way. It also seems if I don't push the brakes that as I drive brakes get tight in front all by them selves. Think I may have an air problem. I think air is getting into the air pack and causes brakes to tighten. I am not sure this is just a guess. Its only the front brakes. Has anyone ever had this problem and perhaps Ideas of what I could do to solve it. Brakes have always been very touchy since I rebuilt the air pack but until now they always released although a little slow but I thought that was just because of all the new parts I was getting good pressure for the first time ever. I am going to replace the wheel cylinders, shoes. and rubber lines. when I am replacing the bearings and seals in front end but I am pretty sure that wont fix it but we will see. Any Knowledge or similar problem any one can share would be a big help and is appreciated

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just read a thread about changing the air brake switch on the air pack, and how there are bleed ports that allow the hydraulic fluid or the air pressure to alleviate once the pedal pressure is released. So I am thinking there may be a restriction in one of these ports by which applied brake fluid of compressed air is not being allowed to relieve, therefore maintaining pressure to the wheel cylinders. Look for the threads about the bake switch for the detailed info. Have you adjusted the brakes lately?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it both front wheels? Do they both get hot? If its just one front, maybe a spring broke, letting a shoe drag. If its both, I would be suspicious of all the brakes, because the fronts get much more wear, then the rears, and would tend to be hotter, suggesting that "whatadeuce", above, is onto something. If they feel like they are dragging, crack a rear bleeder. If that relieves them, it the Air Pack.

barefootin

To add to the suggestions above... If you eliminate the air pack as a contributor and it is just the front wheels dragging, check the flex line from the chassis to the front axle. The insides of flex lines can collapse preventing the fluid from returning and causing drag (even while looking good on the outside). Since there is drag, either from not being properly adjusted or the restricted line, as the fluid heats up it will expand and again due to the restriction create more drag....

ralph3162

Yes it is both front drums. They get very hot. I also checked the rear drums but they are not hot. The fronts will blister your fingers. I will try all of the above thank you for the advice.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loosen the booster J pipe and see if they still drag.

If they do not, then the booster is leaking internally.

If it has the old style booster, then you can just remove the lube plug and stick your finger in it and see if air pressure builds(it should not) while the truck is running and air pressure is up.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front wheel bearings could be an issue.

If the truck is new to you, a full wheel bearing and brake inspection and service/adjustment is the best way to eliminate those as the source(and have first hand knowledge of the condition of those systems.

ralph3162

I have had the hubs and wheels off the bearings are good it is definitely the brakes. I think the air pack is building pressure or not releasing pressure. When I push on my brake pedal I have very little free travel pedal moves a few inches and truck will stop on a dime. When I release I can feel the front drag. Today I took it in for an oil change and when I started up to drive away the brakes where released but in a very short distance I could feel the brakes start to grab again and I never touched the brake pedal which said air pack to me. Oddly like I say it is only the front brakes that drag none of the others .That's the part that confuses me. It is only the front brakes that drag not any of the others. This leads me to think wheel cylinders or brake lines. I hope new wheel cylinders and brake lines may fix the problem. Since I have all new parts and have to take it apart anyway I am just going to replace everything Bearings, Shoes, Cylinders, Lines, Seals, Boots everything with new and see if it helps. If not I will focus on the Air Pack next.

63C20

What kind of Deuce is it ? If you have a split system it is most likely one of the airpacks. If it is a single circuit it could also be the airpack with possibly out of adjustment rear brakes. Were the brakes working well prior to your problem? You could try lubricating the airpack might help, couldn't hurt. Good luck! Keep us posted.

rustystud

028.jpg027.jpg I'm assuming you have a single air-pac and it's the long style. If so did you make sure this hole in the air-assembly was open ? If this hole gets clogged it will not allow the pressure piston to release properly causing a hanging brake condition. Also what was posted earlier about the brake hose inner lining peeling, that too will cause the brakes to hang up as it acts like a check valve.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several of my trucks have had the air pack leak internally and never did it cause all 6 brakes to drag(just one or two).

Pull your plug and stick your finger in and see if air pressure builds. This will take about 1-2 minutes and requires a single wrench.

rustystud

Several of my trucks have had the air pack leak internally and never did it cause all 6 brakes to drag(just one or two).

Pull your plug and stick your finger in and see if air pressure builds. This will take about 1-2 minutes and requires a single wrench.
If your referring to my post I did not say internal leak. I said plugged hole. You would still get air pressure to the air-can, the problem is the air piston (which sends air to the air-can) would hang up due to vacuum if the hole is plugged. This then would keep the air supply open to the air-can. I'm not saying full apply, but enough to cause a noticeable drag. Of course it still can be the brake hose.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was not referring to your post.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a single circuit brake system, it would seem odd that only one axle would drag as opposed to all since they are all tee'd together. I would be really suspicious of that front frame to axle brake hose.

ralph3162

Okay just wanted to thank everyone for there help with this issue. Replacing the wheel cylinders and brake lines did not help the brake issue. I ended up unscrewing the J-pipe enough so it would constantly release air while brake applied and still maintain air pressure. This allowed the brakes to release after a count of 4 once the pedal was released. I disconnected the vent line from the air pack and put my finger over it. It would constantly build pressure. My air pack is the problem I did something wrong when I rebuilt it I guess. I have ordered a new one it will be here in a couple days also ordered another rebuild kit I will try to fix whatever I did wrong and will have a spare. I want to thank everyone for there help with my problems. You guys are the greatest. The wealth of knowledge on this site is vast. Thank you again to everyone. You made the job understandable which the TM's lack in some areas.

ralph3162

Ok just to let everyone know got my new air pack and installed it today all is well. I want to thank everyone for all there help and suggestions. You guys are the greatest thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks