• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front bumper storage. Looking for ideas?

my blood flows OD

I'm thinking of wedge cutting the winch bumper on my M-813 a few inches outward of the frame (probably right in line with the side of the grill) and then bending it back toward the fender by a foot or so. I'll weld onto the length of the bumper to bring it back to the stock width.
then using the inside triangles to make a storage box areas for chains and such.
I know this is not a revolutionary idea.
so if anyone has pics of any mods along these lines can you post so I can get the gears in the old thinker turning I would love to see them.

Thnks guys

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many have done trays as well and secured ammo boxes or Jerry can mounts. I'm curious about bending the bumper back, what does that offer you?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would not bend the bumpers back, they are where they are to protect the tires and fenders, if there is a issue where the bumper is bent, it will not go into the tires or fenders, the bumper will take the hit, bend, get trashed, but the truck can keep on going

my blood flows OD

Yeah! That is just what I want to do. There is a ton of room there, might aswell use it up.
The fold down step is a good idea.

The front bumper on my 813 must not be the right bumper.
it is just a straight piece of "C" channel. That was why I was talking about tapering it back toword the fenders.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although mine is an M923 and the front end is now heavily modified, here's a few pictures of my boxes when I still had the original bumper in place to give you some more ideas.

20150911_184944.jpg

20150906_201744.jpg

20150906_201615.jpg

The flexible steps...

20151226_172923.jpg

20151226_172915.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is...as are the boxes...and the winch. I'll have an MRAP one day. I'm just building it one piece at a time, lol.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
'Blood flow' - try using PAINT on your computer to give us a clue what you are after to either draw from scratch or you can cut-n-paste TM pics/photos.

Canadian CCKW's and RAEME M816 wreckers all had various stowage/tray/catwalks behind the bumpers...

JohnnyBM931A2

Here are some pictures of mine with M936A2 weight trays holding 2 group 31 batteries each for the front electric winch. Will probably add some storage boxes next to the trays.
I'm very curious about your setup.. I love the idea of having a winch on my tractor, but I don't like how far they stick out on the M932's and others. Would it have been possible to do your winch setup, but with the bumper in the stock location? I'm not near my truck to take a look. I know that the batteries would need to go somewhere else, but would the winch itself fit?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks